non recognized SATA HDD

bobarotti

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
I have a homebuilt system containing an MSI 848P Neo-LS mobo. I have been using, without difficulty, an old EIDE hard drive that I had laying around. Recently, I decided to upgrade to a WD 160 gb SATA 7200 RPM drive (WD1600AAJS) which I purchased new from Axiontech.com. (bigger-faster) I removed my old drive, set the jumpers on my new drive to limit the speed from SATA II to SATA (as my mobo required), attached the power cable and connected the SATA data cable to the motherboard. The system will not recognize the new HD. When I tried to set the boot order the drive wasn't there. When I loaded my Windows XP disk it stated that there was no hard drive. Any help would be appreciated greatly.
Bob
Ps. Thinking that I might need drivers I went to Western Digital's website and couldn't find what I was looking for. Thanks again.

firebird

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
Check the SATA setting for HDD in the BIOS. Most boards have a settings to turn RAID on or off for SATA, as well as IDE compatibility modes. Also, it could be that the SATA controller is turned off. You won't need any drivers.

TRENDING THREADS