[SOLVED] Non-Traditional Docking Station Setup Question

jwal1213

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
I have an Alienware 17r5 (i7 / 1070)

I am looking to utilize a dock for my laptop but not in the traditional sense. My laptop needs to be stored off-desk (as you all know, it's huge) and having to pull it out and turn it on every time I use it is a pain.

I still intend to connect my external display and power directly to the machine but would like to use a USB-C dock with a power button to turn the laptop on. I would probably also utilize the USB ports on the dock.

I'm currently looking at this model - https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-business-dock-wd15-with-130w-adapter/apd/452-bddv?ref=p13n...

I know it's an expensive "power button" but it's worth it to me in this scenario. What are your thoughts on the proposed set-up? Will it work?

thanks in advance

Solution
I talked with Dell tech support and they just kept telling me that no Dell dock is compatible with Alienware. I understand the graphics issues and I won't be utilizing the dock for that. I really only want to use it for USB ports and to be a power button for my machine. It would also not work for charging my laptop. I'll still connect the monitor and power to the laptop itself.

Then either tech support or their web site is wrong since you can see they list Alienware models in the product specs in your link. Not your model specifically though.

Compatibility
This product is compatible with the following systems:
  • Alienware 17 R3
  • Alienware 13 R2
  • Alienware 15 R2
That's a normal USB C dock, nothing wrong with using it. If it will work with your system or not, you can check the compatibility list on Dell's site or email their support.

Another issue may be the video card performance through that dock, I have never used a gaming system through a USB C dock so no idea how it will perform vs using the laptop screen.

jwal1213

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
I talked with Dell tech support and they just kept telling me that no Dell dock is compatible with Alienware. I understand the graphics issues and I won't be utilizing the dock for that. I really only want to use it for USB ports and to be a power button for my machine. It would also not work for charging my laptop. I'll still connect the monitor and power to the laptop itself.

Then either tech support or their web site is wrong since you can see they list Alienware models in the product specs in your link. Not your model specifically though.

Compatibility
This product is compatible with the following systems:
  • Alienware 17 R3
  • Alienware 13 R2
  • Alienware 15 R2

Solution