Non-z170 Overclocking for 6600k

Chnnoob

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016
So, when I was researching parts for my first build, I made a terribly stupid mistake of not searching up specific chipsets and had thought that any supporting mobo would be able to overclock. (Noob mistake) Got the Asus B150 chipset board and found out a day after that I couldn't overclock my 6600k. Is there a way of making firmware or hardware mods in order to allow overclocking without replacing the mobo all-together? I feel that without an overclock, I would have wasted my money getting an unlocked CPU. Thanks in advance!

Important Parts:
ASUS B150-Plus
Core i5-6600k
EVGA Gtx 960 SSC
8GB HyperX @ 2133MHz

Solution
The 6600k has the highest stock speeds of any of the i5's so if there was to be a cpu that can live with no OC, that's the one.

You've paired that cpu with a gtx960. There's no game made that'll come close to punishing the cpu before the gpu maxes out its capability. My hardest hitting game at its max settings will take my gtx970 to 99% usage and my 3770k gets to 53%.

OC is nice. It's an option. It's a hobby. But when it comes to the high end Intel cpu's like the 6600k, it's most definitely not a necessity.

You might not have made the wisest choice, but it's not a bad one at all, so don't beat yourself up about it. There are plenty of ppl who enjoy the best cpus and never OC, and probably never will.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
Sorry there is no way to make your B150 capable of overclocking outside of raising the fsb which is not recommended. So I'm afraid you did waste a little money by getting the 6600k. Don't worry though, overclocking doesn't help much and you'll still get great performance.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 6600k has the highest stock speeds of any of the i5's so if there was to be a cpu that can live with no OC, that's the one.

You've paired that cpu with a gtx960. There's no game made that'll come close to punishing the cpu before the gpu maxes out its capability. My hardest hitting game at its max settings will take my gtx970 to 99% usage and my 3770k gets to 53%.

OC is nice. It's an option. It's a hobby. But when it comes to the high end Intel cpu's like the 6600k, it's most definitely not a necessity.

You might not have made the wisest choice, but it's not a bad one at all, so don't beat yourself up about it. There are plenty of ppl who enjoy the best cpus and never OC, and probably never will.

Solution