[SOLVED] Nondescript error with RAID 0 member drive, Windows 10 PC still boots and files are still accessible?

May 15, 2021
My C: drive is in RAID 0 format with three SSDs via SATA cable. One of the drives has returned and "error" on my Intel RST boot screen which was stopping my computer from booting at all for about an hour last night.

I found which of the drives went bad with its serial number and tried swapping the SATA cable out. I tried booting with the bad drive unplugged (power and SATA) and restarting with it plugged in to allow Intel SRI to autoresolve the issue, but the drive is still giving an error.

The strange part is that although my C: drive is RAID 0, I'm completely able to access all of the files on it and boot/operate my computer without issue.

Even my OS is located on my C: drive. So although it is entirely possible that I installed Windows 10 onto the system before formatting the RAID virtual drive it still boots without issue.

My question is this:

Is the problem ignorable? And if not is there software I can use to diagnose/fix the problem?

From what I've read, software that detects read/write errors in storage does so at a virual level above the physical drives in a RAID setup, and that those software might also cause permanent damage to RAID setups.

I'm willing and able to just remove the bad drive and make a clean windows install with the 2 remaining drives, but I'm planning on updating my computer before the end of the summer anyways.

Because my computer runs normally can I just ignore the issue for two months and save myself the hassle, or is this a serious issue that can spread to other hardware, or leave myself vulnerable to cyberattacks or anything like that?

It feels like this error is just the beginning of a much more serious issue, but without being able to diagnose what the problem is beyond "drive is borked replace it" I don't know how serious the issue really is. Especially because my "zero fault tolerance" drive is running fine with a reported fault.

I can take screenshots of anything that might help, and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Last edited:
Solution
Thankfully I plan on building a new computer very soon. I'll be sure to organize this better than my dad did. . .

I'm really not faking, and I don't think my PC is lying to me. I don't understand how it's able to work. Is it safe to continue to use the computer despite the error?
If it is booting up and running....sure.
"safe" is a sliding scale.

One or the other of those RAID things might die in the next 5 minutes. Rendering anything on them, lost completely.

Any data yo u do not wish to lose...back it up somewhere else.

USAFRet

Titan
Nothing is ignorable.

A RAID 0 with one potentially failed member, and the data still accessible, is not a RAID 0.

SSD + RAID 0 is useless.

You need to do two things:
  1. Any data you cannot or do not wish to lose, that NEEDS to be backed up on some other drive. Like...now.
  2. You need to determine the actual construction of this thing.

May 15, 2021
if you can access the system, it is not raid 0.

There's an image in my reply above that shows my RST screen and the supposed error.
My father is the one who set up the RAID and has said to me that it should operate synchronously like a RAID 1, not as a striped RAID 0 drive. Although this screen seems to say otherwise.

USAFRet

Titan
So....

6 physical drives, in 2 different "RAID 0" arrays.
Volume 0 and Volume 1.

Each physical drive is 480GB or 500GB.
A mix of HDD and SSD.
#1,2,3 are HDD, 500GB each. Vol 1.
#0, 4, 5 are SSD, 480GB each. Vol 0

#5 in array 0 is failed.

Nothing against your dad, but this is one of the worst configurations I've seen.
Not the worst, but up there.

Since the system still "works" and boots up, we can probably assume that the OS lives on the HDD array, Volume 1.

USAFRet

Titan
Power OFF.
Physically disconnect the SATA cables to either the 3 HDD or the 3 SSD.
Power UP.

Does it boot up?

This may indicate where the actual OS lives...on the SSD array or the HDD array.

I'm pretty sure it is on the SSD array, but verification is always good.

May 15, 2021
Thankfully I plan on building a new computer very soon. I'll be sure to organize this better than my dad did. . .

I'm really not faking, and I don't think my PC is lying to me. I don't understand how it's able to work. Is it safe to continue to use the computer despite the error?

USAFRet

Titan

If it is booting up and running....sure.
"safe" is a sliding scale.

One or the other of those RAID things might die in the next 5 minutes. Rendering anything on them, lost completely.

Any data yo u do not wish to lose...back it up somewhere else.

Solution