Question None of my ports are open yet I can still surf the web...

osher

Prominent
Apr 15, 2018
Recently I tried playing a game on my PS4, and it didn't work.
After a lot of troubleshooting, I've been told I have a DOUBLE NAT. I talked to my ISP which are very very limited in knowledge about... anything, and paid for a static IP. (So I could port forward).
Yet I still cannot port forward, when I check websites such as the Open Port Check Tool it tells me my ports are closed, I talked to my ISP and they told me my ports are open... What could be causing my ports to be closed?
Bare in mind I'm only trying to open my ports on PC so I could later open them on my PS4.
These are my Port Forwarding options:
http://prntscr.com/o6td5d
My ISP themselves couldn't open the ports so it must be something else...

The reason web serving works is because you initiated the action. A over simplistic example would be if you blocked all incoming calls on your phone. You can talk to people as long as you make the call but if anyone calls your cell number the call does not come through.

What double nat means is you have 2 routers in the path and must port forward on both of them.

I would use the DMZ option to start with it tend to be easier to get correct sometime the syntax of the port forwarding rules can be confusing.

osher

Prominent
Apr 15, 2018
The reason web serving works is because you initiated the action. A over simplistic example would be if you blocked all incoming calls on your phone. You can talk to people as long as you make the call but if anyone calls your cell number the call does not come through.

What double nat means is you have 2 routers in the path and must port forward on both of them.

I would use the DMZ option to start with it tend to be easier to get correct sometime the syntax of the port forwarding rules can be confusing.
I understand but I already tried DMZ Hosting... Nothing really works...
Also, how do I change it so I can open my ports permanently?

osher

Prominent
Apr 15, 2018
It does leave them all open permanent which is part of the problem. You use DMZ just to test with eventually you go back and do the port forwarding rules because DMZ can be unsafe.

If you have double nat you must do the DMZ/portforwarding in both routers.
Thing is, my "second router" is actually a digital TV converter box that has access to the internet so can't really do much there...