[SOLVED] None of my systems can connect through ethernet

cdrabun89

Honorable
May 13, 2016
So recently I woke up and my internet was out (ISP is xfinity) After about 5 hours on the phone with about 10 people, They finally got around to tell me my modem was shot(it was a 5+year old Surfboard SB6***) So went down to the local walmart and picked up an SB8200, thinking "ok the other lasted a long enough time, I'll just upgrade to the newer model.

After getting home and installing it, I immediately ran into several more issues, namely it wouldn't connect. After about 8 hours of headaches, I was about to give up when a little blue light appeared on my wireless router. I went to check my desktops(which are hardlined with CAT6 ethernet cables. None of the three desktops in my house had connection. All of my wireless devices connected perfectly and, in fact, had faster speeds than they had ever had(nearly double my norm.) So I switched my two wireless capable desktops over to wifi and low and behold, THEY BOTH Connected.

Now this would be the end of the issue except this: the other desktop has about 10 game servers that run on it for me and my friends, and while I'm sure the wireless speeds could handle it, its not wireless capable. I have a USB wifi adapter but the system doesn't recognize it, so it still wont connect. So it becomes more so imperative that I find a way to get the systems connected back to ethernet.

I've already tried all the standard stuff: updating drivers, swapping cables, flushing DNS, attempting ipconfig/renew(says can't if media is disconnected). So can anyone help me out? I've also already spoken to both Arris(modem Mfg) and xfinity and they both want to just point fingers at each other.

Solution
Okay, there's too much broken to know what's what anymore, lol.

If you don't already have xfinity's gateway, tell them you want one and let them come set it up and don't let them leave until they can prove that it's running properly for your plan speeds.

Once that is done, connect your devices to this thing. If they all work, then it's something in your network setup and we'll need to try one thing at a time to figure out what's wrong.

cdrabun89

Honorable
May 13, 2016
Strange that the wireless stuff works and wired doesn't. What's your network layout?

Tried several ways, coax>modem >ethernet>etherner splitter>computers

Coax>modem>ethernet> computers directly

And the only that works is coax>modem>ethernet> router

And in an even stranger development my computer(main gaming) now has to be connected with ethernet AND wifi To be able to access internet. I've tried this with a modem and an all in one gateway. Still no luck

Okay, there's too much broken to know what's what anymore, lol.

If you don't already have xfinity's gateway, tell them you want one and let them come set it up and don't let them leave until they can prove that it's running properly for your plan speeds.

Once that is done, connect your devices to this thing. If they all work, then it's something in your network setup and we'll need to try one thing at a time to figure out what's wrong.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS