[SOLVED] None of the keys on my laptop work

wiredtomyears

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I have done the standard fixes, like updating drivers, uninstalling keyboard in device manager, shutdown, and letting it reinstall driver, etc, but the whole keyboard is still dead.

Is this most likely a keyboard faiure or a keyboard-controller failure? I can buy new keyboard, but If its a controller failure how hard is it to replace it on a laptop? (HP8460p Elite laptop & Wndows 10)

Solution
You may want to see if you can get into BIOS. If not, use an external keyboard and mouse and get CPU-Z onto your laptop. Using that take note of the BIOS version on the laptop. You might want to see if you have BIOS updates pending. Using the external keyboard, you can try and work with KeyboardTester and see if the keys on the laptop work.

Which version of Windows 10 are you working with? You might want to try and reinstall the OS after creating the installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

If nothing works, then you might need to disassemble the laptop, get to the ribbon cable that binds he keyboard to the laptop and see if needs a little dusting off of dust/debris. If that doesn't work, you might be in need of a replacement...

Lutfij

Titan
You may want to see if you can get into BIOS. If not, use an external keyboard and mouse and get CPU-Z onto your laptop. Using that take note of the BIOS version on the laptop. You might want to see if you have BIOS updates pending. Using the external keyboard, you can try and work with KeyboardTester and see if the keys on the laptop work.

Which version of Windows 10 are you working with? You might want to try and reinstall the OS after creating the installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

If nothing works, then you might need to disassemble the laptop, get to the ribbon cable that binds he keyboard to the laptop and see if needs a little dusting off of dust/debris. If that doesn't work, you might be in need of a replacement keyboard.

Solution

wiredtomyears

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I have done the standard fixes, like updating drivers, uninstalling keyboard in device manager, shutdown, and letting it reinstall driver, etc, but the whole keyboard is still dead.

Is this most likely a keyboard faiure or a keyboard-controller failure? I can buy new keyboard, but If its a controller failure how hard is it to replace it on a laptop? (HP8460p Elite laptop & Wndows 10)

wiredtomyears

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Thanks, I'll try these suggestions, but offhand does it sound like a controller failure or a keyboard failure to you? One new piece of information -- when I plugged in a USB keyboard and hit the caps lock key it also lit up the caps lock key on the laptop's failed keyboard.

Last edited:

There is no way to tell where the issue is, if it's not working could be from anything from the keyboard to cable to the motherboard connection. You can't replace a controller on a motherboard unless you know which part it is and can do micro soldering. Even then the controller likely is part of a larger chipset and can go through several layers of the board.