None of the mobos cha_fan are powering my fans :/

brian.tronik

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
Hi,
I just got done putting together my new build, but for some reason none of the chassis fan output are powering my chassis fan.

The motherboard has 2x CHA_FAN 4pins, but my fans are unresponsive to these. My system also fails to output anything on screen either, but this should be different problem right?
Having difficulty finding the source of problem since I've never had fans not working.

==================
Tower: Corsair 460X RGB
3x Chassis fan: Corsair SP120 RGB
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-A
===================

brian.tronik

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018

Hi thanks for the reply.

I am now trying to troubleshoot with the minimal setup here is the full list. I don't have a speaker to do a beep diagnostics..so this is making things harder.
==================
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-A
CPU: LGA1151 / Core i7-8700k
CPU cooler: Lepa Exllusion 240
Chassis fan: 3x Corsair SP120 RGB
Memory: G.SKill Trident Z RGB - DDR4-3200 8gb
==================

At this time, i'm happy if I could get even 1 of the fans to spin. So, i'm still not getting any output on my screen so it may be a CPU problem but this shouldn't affect the motherboard from powering the fan right?
As you could see I have no CPU fan, since I have the radiator hooked up. I have the Lepa motor hooked into the AIO_PUMP pin though.

Appreciate the help, thanks in advance..

So you have no fan connected to CPU_FAN header? Connect a fan there and retry.
Does the RAM lights up? I guess it does. So the board seems to power up at least partially, but overall there is not much to be done here - if you can't even make it POST, the only sensible thing to do is RMA the board.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hold on lets back up.

First off CPUs don't fail, you don't have a CPU problem (their failure rate is literally like 0.5%).

Secondly your issue of the fans not spinning is the same is the fact your system doesn't boot.

You likely have a short somewhere. The first thing you should do is pull the motherboard from your case and breadboad it. CPU, CPU cooler, memory, see if it boots. Then reinstall it in the case and try 1 Fan. If it doesn't boot, SOMETHING is touching the board and causing a short.

brian.tronik

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018

Hi, thanks for the reply.
The CPU is brand new, so there is a possibility of a DOA right? I actually had one like 10 years ago.
I will take the mobo out from the case and try your method. Thanks.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Highly highly unlikely that the CPU is DOA.

devbiker

Commendable
Dec 9, 2017
1) Make sure you have a cooler attached.
2) Examine the CPU pins on your motherboard. It's easy to bend or mangle them and that's far more likely than a dead CPU.
3) Make sure that all of your power connectors are connected. You have a 24-pin ATX connector and 8-pin CPU connector.

brian.tronik

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
Thanks for the input everyone, but this is not solved. Turns out that one of the PSU's power cables were bad, thus only powering a part of the motherboard. Found out by using my friend's PSU to narrow down the problem.
My new system is now up and running. :)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Makes sense, it was clearly an overall power issue from the beginning. Shorts causing no power are the most common, but a bad cable would clearly do it too.

TRENDING THREADS