[SOLVED] None Traditional VPN?

Nov 22, 2021
About 6 months ago I connected a router to the internet through PPTP/L2TP, no modem. It stopped working after I saw Cox outside working on something. The way I did this was by connecting my computer to CoxWifi Hotspot network and finding the DNS server in CMD. I put the info in the router using its PPTP protical and my cox credentials, it worked great. It was setup this way at a second location where my main cox service was not installed. I was using WiseTiger AC 1200M wireless router. I had a Polycom OBI202 VoIP connected to the WAN port(It just worked that way so I connected it that way). No LAN ports were being used

Is this something that should have never worked?

Solution
Hard to say what there policy is. PPTP is a vpn but there are concerns about the security. It technically will work as long as you have a userid and password. Sometimes they allow the userid to be logged into multiple locations. If it is only logged in one time then in a way that is what you pay for. If a ISP could somehow let everyone pay to connect to a public hotspot but not have to provide a service to a house they would make huge money.

I know some ISP actually put a hotspot on any modem they own/control. They allow their customers to connect to these I suspect using a similar method since they do not require you to install a vpn. Another reason I own my modem/router so they nobody else will be sharing my...
Hard to say what there policy is. PPTP is a vpn but there are concerns about the security. It technically will work as long as you have a userid and password. Sometimes they allow the userid to be logged into multiple locations. If it is only logged in one time then in a way that is what you pay for. If a ISP could somehow let everyone pay to connect to a public hotspot but not have to provide a service to a house they would make huge money.

I know some ISP actually put a hotspot on any modem they own/control. They allow their customers to connect to these I suspect using a similar method since they do not require you to install a vpn. Another reason I own my modem/router so they nobody else will be sharing my resources.

Solution
Nov 22, 2021
Thanks for the reply. I had a user name and password(I have service at first location). I ended up buying service at second location instead of connecting to the ISP hotspot. I had it setup the previous way to save money. Security was not an issue. I needed printers and internet on same network. internet was mostly used for youtube and looking for pictures on search engines. All the important information is on my laptop which is never connected to the second location network.

Now I have a modem, router, and VoIP setup. The evolution of this system has been: Sim card modem to hotspot to modem. I guess I don't need to save money anymore.