Yatus-Smithus

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Hi there guys,

This is my second effort at building a PC. The first was done around 6 years ago and with all the new tech on the market, I'm not entirely sure of compatability.

Would you geniuses be able to say whether this build would all work together and thus run smoothly?

The PC will mostly be used for gaming and I have managed to get the build to a cost of approx £450. I am flexibly to any suggestions!!

Really appreciated!

VTX3D Radeon HD 6790, 1GB GDDR5, DVI, HDMI, mini DisplayPort (VX
ASUS P8P67-M Pro, P67 (dual PC3-10667U DDR3
Intel Core i5-2500K, 4x 3.30GHz, boxed (BX80623I52500K)

Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM Memory
Zalman Z7-PLUS Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Computer Chassis
Corsair Air Series A50 CPU Cooler (CAFA50)
Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB internal Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache 7200RPM – OEM
CiT 650W Power Supply Unit with PSU and Dual 12V Rails - Black Edition

£449

Any good??

Thankyou!

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Haven't heard of CiT for psu but when I haven't heard of it I don't like it. If it's a cheap psu I'd get a higher tiered one like corsair, antec, seasonic.

Otherwise a nice build, a little weak on the gpu but for your budget it fits nicely and being able to squeeze in the i5 2500k will be great for future proofing.

With the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K you want to avoid any memory that is above 1.5v. The memory that you have selected is 1.65v and can damage the processor and void your warranty. Since you like Corsair try this memory CMZ4GX3M2A1600C9B if you can’t find it just make sure the memory that you select is 1.5v. Otherwise I don’t see any issues with your build.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Another vote for skipping the cpu cooler and getting a better video card .

Gaming is more GPU dependent than CPU dependent so it makes no sense to match a top end cpu with a mid range gfz card

If you are not going to overclock the cpu [ and you definitely wont get more gaming performance if you do and are using that gfx card ] then also buy a cheaper cpu

Yatus-Smithus

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
All your comments are massively appreciated!

Is it not necessary to have a CPU cooler then? Whats the reference I keep reading about reg. SLI (dual GPU's)? Would these be compatible with the M/B?

@ Metal Orient. I've got Windows 7 Ultimate already and the only items I am not getting from AMazon are the Processor, the Graphics and the MB. These are coming from a company called PC-Titan and are on average £30 less than the listed prices on Amazon. Overall price has not crept upto £500, which is no drama!

In terms of Video card, I am tempted by the ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU 2DI/1GD5, Ge-force GTX 460, 1GB GDDR5, which I can get for £107 from PC-Titan.

To be honest I am a little wary of PC - Titan, partly because I cant find a contact address for them!!

@Intel Enthusiasts (Christian Wood), thanks VERY much for that input, exactly the sort of info I would have never realised before!!

Mosox + Outlander.... Sounds like I have more research to do. Thanks guys!

cuecuemore

Distinguished
You can use the stock cooler and refrain from overclocking for the moment, as a stock 2500k will feed frames to a single/double 6850/70 without a hitch.

As far as the GTX 460 goes, it's a great card (I have 2 of them in SLI) but I would recommend against it as it is older tech now and you can probably find better price: performance in a vanilla GTX 560, but there's *nothing* wrong with going the GTX 460 route if you have a good price on it/them.

And as far as your motherboard goes, it will support multiple GPUs in SLI (Scalable Link Interface, Nvidia) or Crossfire (AMD/Ati). These are similar technologies that allow two graphics cards to work in parallel to increase performance by 80-90% versus a single card (your mileage may vary)

sam555

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
DO NOT PURCHASE FROM PC-TITAN : Almost certainly a scam website, it has no reviews and no information about it on the internet, its run from Malaysia and the prices are too good to be true. I originally tallyed up the prices using pc-titan too until I went to check if it was legit.

Oh and avoid CiT I did a bit of research on my 450W CiT psu and it only had 10A on the 12v which is awful!