[SOLVED] noob getting no power

Peter_161

Honorable
Aug 21, 2016
Got my Phankek case: PH-EC300PTG_Western
And AsRock motherboard: B450M-HDV R4.0

I know these images aren't great, but any ideas of why I get nothing upon holding the power button? I've done this before over the years about 5 times (with different hardware), so I'm a noob++.

Notes:
  • I'm looking at the motherboards instructions as best I can, but the case's instructions don't tell me what cable is what.
  • The motherboard's ATX 12V Power connector has 4 pins. My power supply (Corsair CS550) only has a 6 pin available. I got it in there with two of its pins hanging off to the side......
Thank you

20190822_105714.jpg

20190822_110624.jpg

WHAT'S THIS BELOW? It's coming off the area with the top panel power, usb, mic, and headphone jack
20190822_110831.jpg

I followed instructions and I know this photo is tough to see. The power cable is connected to PWBTN and the GND next to it.
20190822_110947.jpg

Solution
If your board isn't fried yet, please remove the PCIe power connector from the motherboard's EPS connector ports. Your PSU should have a 4+4 EPS connector. I've sen it in person hence why I know it's there.

Also, you might want to make sure you've got the side with the arrow on the pin that shows Power SW +ve. The arrow on the connectors correspond to the positive terminal on the board's front panel connectivity.

Lutfij

Titan
If your board isn't fried yet, please remove the PCIe power connector from the motherboard's EPS connector ports. Your PSU should have a 4+4 EPS connector. I've sen it in person hence why I know it's there.

Also, you might want to make sure you've got the side with the arrow on the pin that shows Power SW +ve. The arrow on the connectors correspond to the positive terminal on the board's front panel connectivity.

Solution

Peter_161

Honorable
Aug 21, 2016
I wish the manual said two words about connections. I would be in good shape with that.

Lutfij, sorry if I did that wrong. You did solve the initial and primary issue.

But I have other news that will make you all laugh. Before logainofhades answered, I tried plugging that connector into the USB pins on the motherboard. Suddenly, it smelled like burned plastic and now the computer won't boot up. It gets power, but never gets to the bios.

So we're confident I fried the motherboard this time?

Lutfij

Titan
Both manuals for the case and the board, not to mention the one found with your PSU, include instructions as to what connector goes where.

I think you've also found out by now that the cables have some sort of identifying marker/moniker/label to help novice builders understand which cable goes where. I could even argue that people, who are novices, watch through many build videos prior to installing and assembling a system.

Reactions: Darkbreeze

TRENDING THREADS