Noob needing help with VR and vr compatibility for my pc

lionca01

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
Hey guys so im a beginner to the pc world, but i know enough to get by. I am wanting to upgrade my pc so i can run a HTC vive. My PC is not up to date with current standards so if you guys can let me know what parts i need to upgrade and what a good product for that part would be, thatd be awesome. Thanks!
SPECS:
CPU: AMD FX-8300
GPU: GTX 1050
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970a-d3p
RAM: crucial ballistix 8gb
Power supply: EVGA 500W
4 stock fans

Solution
Your processor is at the bare minimum for Vive specs, but you could keep that. Maybe. (Minimum is actually an FX-8350.) You will have to upgrade your graphics card to at least a GTX 1060, with a GTX 1070 recommended. With that processor, I wouldn't suggest going above a 1070 as the CPU wouldn't be able to keep up with a 1080 or 1080ti. 1070 is about the top end where you see an improvement even with an older/weaker CPU like you have.

Or you can replace your whole system. If you want to enjoy VR you should probably do that.

Have you tried running the "SteamVR Performance Test" tool yet?

Anyway, any reason you want the Vive vs Rift? Rift is a lot more affordable, and if you are having to buy a whole to PC that might be something...

Cromwell__

Prominent
May 31, 2017
Your processor is at the bare minimum for Vive specs, but you could keep that. Maybe. (Minimum is actually an FX-8350.) You will have to upgrade your graphics card to at least a GTX 1060, with a GTX 1070 recommended. With that processor, I wouldn't suggest going above a 1070 as the CPU wouldn't be able to keep up with a 1080 or 1080ti. 1070 is about the top end where you see an improvement even with an older/weaker CPU like you have.

Or you can replace your whole system. If you want to enjoy VR you should probably do that.

Have you tried running the "SteamVR Performance Test" tool yet?

Anyway, any reason you want the Vive vs Rift? Rift is a lot more affordable, and if you are having to buy a whole to PC that might be something to consider. I had both, returned the Vive and kept the Rift. Game library was better, and I liked the controls better for Rift. I know other people who prefer the Vive, though... it is a quality product. But if budget were my main concern the Rift would 100% be the best choice due to the much lower cost that Vive hasn't been able to keep up with... although I think the summer sale has expired now, so they are back closer together. /shrug

Solution

lionca01

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

even tho im months late, thank you! I will be fully replacing my current system. As im going to upgrade to the Ryzen 5 and 1070!