Ezuku

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Heya chaps,

I'm planning on replacing my aging Athlon 64 within a week or two. I think I've done my research on this, but I would feel better if think the parts I've chosen could be given a look over. Can anyone offer any advice?

I use my computer mostly for games, and I plan on on overclocking my CPU, which should be okay with my motherboard and fan, right?

165 - G-B EP35C-DS3R
269 - E8400
84 - 2 x 2G-800 Generic
233 - 8800 GT - Generic
132 - 640 SATA WD

22 - Coolermaster Xdream P775
167 - Antec 900
99 - Seasonic S12 430 W

Total - $A 1171

Can anyone recommend anything else? Is a GB EP35 DS3R or GB EP35 DS3 just the non-combo version of the EP35C DS3R? I couldn't find a review for the two former boards, so I don't know how they fare. I don't think I'd probably ever end up using this motherboard to upgrade to DDR3, especially since I think the next step would be getting 8 gig of DDR2.

Is the 430 W PSU adequate for this set up? Would it still be adequate if I were to replace the CPU with say... a Q9450 or a Q6600?

I wouldn't mind spending a bit extra for a lot more preformance, or less if I've bought something pointless. The slight catch is that I live in Melbourne, and I only want to buy from one store (that way I don't have to deal with shops blamming each other if something doesn't work).. .parts list here http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

Thankyou experts

yzerwing

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I have found that some of the newer Motherboards require more wattage to function fully The same goes for GPUs especially if you plan on running two GPUs in SLI Not sure if this motherboard supports that or not.

oushi

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
The difference between the EP35-DS3R and EP35C-DS3R is that the former only supports DDR2 memory, while the latter can do both DDR2 and DDR3 although not at the same time. From what I can tell, it looks like the DS3R just has some extra USB and SATA ports compared to the DS3. It's also missing a serial port to make room for those USB ports, but most people won't be using serial anymore anyways. Of the boards you've listed, I would probably go with the DS3.

The Seasonic will be fine. From the list of available parts, I would say it's the best choice for your system.

Not too familiar with the cooler you picked out.

litlrabi

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
As said before, get the P35-DS3.
The PSU you've chosen is a good buy. If your budget shifts or has room, think about the 550W Seasonic.
For your cooler, your best bet is the Zalman 9700LED (5th best heatsink according to frostytech.com.
Since you plan on overclocking, try not to get the generic RAM. The SuperTalent 4GB (2x2GB) kit is your best bet in there.

Ezuku

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Thank you very much for the advice everyone.

Incidentally, how good a cooler would I need anyway for an E8400? A Zalman 9700 seems a bit like overkill, and yet all the other coolers the shop offers seem to be either expensive overkill or rubbishy? Or will I need the extra cooling from the Zalman to say... hit 4 ghz? How much of an overclock could I do on the stock cooler + the case (keep in mind that it's supposed to have good airflow).

litlrabi

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
With stock, assume no overclock. You will probably be able to get some, but it is a dangerous proposition (although with current thermal protections built in to the motherboard it isn't as bad as it used to be).

My philosophy is that if you're going to push your components, get high quality. That's why in my build I have top end PSU, case and cooling, but an E2160 processor. It is currently running at 3.2Ghz, for a price of 70USD.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
the xalman 9700 is good for 4ghz.but its kind of old.the xigmatek is very good on cooling with its Heatpipe Direct Touch technology and "cheap" at the same time.

to your question how much can you overclock on stock cooler.i have no idea.but in general you can do anything within the 10% overclock since it doesnt need voltage boost so heat wont increase that much.

the overkill on cooling i have ask this myself several times.but i think there is "no" such thing as overkill.as you wanted your CPU to run as cool as possible so get a better cooler to make it run cooler and last longer.

get a decent brand on PSU as its crucial to a system especially you intended to overclock!but according to your spec a Corsair 550W will be more then enough.remember to look out for amps @12V the higher the better.

Generic ram is not a good idea when you wanted to overclock.but if you are on a budget then it cant be helped.but you might be lucky you can get some decent overclock out of generic ram.as some of my mate just took out a pair of 667 ram out of a hp computer and manage to get it to 800 cas 5!:)

a case with good airflow is always good as it provide cooling to other component on the motherboard as well especiallt the NB as it gets hot when overclocking the fsb and ram.

Ezuku

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
I've decided to go with the SuperTalent ram. But I still can't work out a cooler to get. I guess I could go for the Zalmen as suggested, but $70 seems a lot to blow on a cooler if something a little less could work just as well?

Sadly, I don't have many options here, as there are no xigmatek coolers available at this shop.

Once again, thanks for the help and advice everyone.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
the zalman 9700led is a good cooler!i can overclock my Q6600(high VID1.3000V) to 3.4Ghz with 1.45V Vcore load at 71C max.so your dual core with 45nm could do much better!

litlrabi

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
After looking for some more information, it looks like the Cooler Master X Dream P775 will work. The information is from a review I'm not familiar with, and in German, but the temperature chart indicates you'll get adequate performance for a careful overclock.

The Zalman 7700-cu is your next best choice, at $A 52, but if you're very price conscious, go with the Cooler Master.