[SOLVED] Noob: Options for Connecting XFX RX 5700 XT THICC III to Corsair RM750x Power Supply

Jun 4, 2020
Noob here building my first PC (and haven't owned a PC in 10 years).

I have a:
XFX RX 5700 XT THICC III GPU
Corsair RM750x PSU

I've connect the PSU to the motherboard (Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master) using the 24 pin ATX and both of the supplied 12V ATX cables for the CPU (so both 8 pins).

I'm now a bit stuck on connecting the GPU to the PSU.

The GPU takes two 8 pins but also came with two cables that split each 4 pin into two 6 pins. So my two 8 pins (16 total) could be split into four 6 pins (24 pins total).

My PSU has four 8 pins for CPU/PCIe. I've used two of these for the CPU, leaving the other two 8 pins free (16 total). The PSU came with two cables which split an 8 pin into two 6 + 2 pins (32 total but could just use 24 of them).

So now I don't know if I'm supposed to (1) use all the cables I have here to split my two 8 pins into 24 pins total, connect them up and it condeses back down to two 8 pins, or if I (2) ignore the GPU cables it came with and just plug straight from PSU to GPU?

If I go with option 2, I can either (2A) use one cable which takes one 8 pin from the PSU and spits it into two 6+2 pins or I can (2B) use both 8 pin cables from the PSU but only use one of the two 6+2 pins on each of them to connect into the GPU?

Maybe all of these options even work but if so - is any one of them more efficient or safer or something like that? 2A is clearly the easiest for cable management but space isn't an issue for me so I'd rather just do what's best for efficiency/durability/performance/heat?

Solution
That GPU uses 2 8pin connector.

On your PSU as long you have 2 GPU PCIE (6+2) or 1 8pin / 1 6pin+2pin.

Just hook them up and it will work. I cant really see it or read the text label below. but yah u should just match the socket..

c9nMmax.png

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018

Just hook them up and it will work. I cant really see it or read the text label below. but yah u should just match the socket..

c9nMmax.png

Reactions: bbabraham
Solution
Jun 4, 2020

Just hook them up and it will work.

c9nMmax.png
Okay thanks! So that means Option 2A won't work as I'd only be using one of the 8 pins on the PSU.

2B is much simpler than 1, so I guess I'll do that.