Question Noob question about aio

moepkid

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
Hey!

I just got my PC with a i9 12900k and a be quiet aio cooler. I was wondering the following:

how does the liquid stay cool to cool the cpu?

I see my temps maxing out at 81, but can I keep playing games? Or do I have to let the liquid in the cooler cool off before continuing?

I am totally new to these things so sorry if I'm sounding stupid.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
In an AIO system, the heat from the CPU chip flows into the liquid inside the pump chamber clamped against the chip top. The pump circulates that heated liquid through a loop to the radiator and back. At the radiator heat from the liquid is transferred to air by the radiator, and the rad fans force cooler air though the rad fins to remove that heated air and exhaust it out of the case. Many system mount the rad and fans as air INTAKE units that use the coolest air source (the room air outside the case) and send that slight heated air inside the case where it can help to cooler more components on the mobo before it is exhausted. Note that the air heated by the rad is NOT hot - only a few degrees warmer than incoming cooler air.

I could not find a rating for max heat removal rate for that beQuiet AIO systems. I did find a review of a 280 mm version of the Pure Loop product. It says its performance is comparable to most systems of that type, although at the very highest workloads and heat outputs (200 to 250 W) is removes a bit less heat than some competitors. Your CPU is rated at 150W heat generation at low loads, and up to 240 W max heat output. So if you are running at its full workload capability, this cooler system will do the job but some others might be slightly better. For less intense applications you would not have any concerns at all.

80C is hot, bit not uncommon for a high-performance CPU at heavy workload. This CPU is entirely OK running that way. Its specs say its max junction temperature is 100C, so I expect it would actually try to slow down to protect itself somewhere over 90 C.

moepkid

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
In an AIO system, the heat from the CPU chip flows into the liquid inside the pump chamber clamped against the chip top. The pump circulates that heated liquid through a loop to the radiator and back. At the radiator heat from the liquid is transferred to air by the radiator, and the rad fans force cooler air though the rad fins to remove that heated air and exhaust it out of the case. Many system mount the rad and fans as air INTAKE units that use the coolest air source (the room air outside the case) and send that slight heated air inside the case where it can help to cooler more components on the mobo before it is exhausted. Note that the air heated by the rad is NOT hot - only a few degrees warmer than incoming cooler air.

I could not find a rating for max heat removal rate for that beQuiet AIO systems. I did find a review of a 280 mm version of the Pure Loop product. It says its performance is comparable to most systems of that type, although at the very highest workloads and heat outputs (200 to 250 W) is removes a bit less heat than some competitors. Your CPU is rated at 150W heat generation at low loads, and up to 240 W max heat output. So if you are running at its full workload capability, this cooler system will do the job but some others might be slightly better. For less intense applications you would not have any concerns at all.

80C is hot, bit not uncommon for a high-performance CPU at heavy workload. This CPU is entirely OK running that way. Its specs say its max junction temperature is 100C, so I expect it would actually try to slow down to protect itself somewhere over 90 C.

Thanks! I did not assemble it myself because I'm a noob. Its a professional company that assembled it, and they advices to go with the 360mm version.

Thanks again for the explanation. I'm running at 81 degrees after two hours of bf5 with ultra graphics. They said its totally fine seeing the i9 is known for higher temps (coming from a 10700).

I will use my PC now without worrying too much? Thanks again :D