[SOLVED] Noob question about fan hub

Sep 2, 2020
I am thinking of buying four Arctic p14 pwm pst and a Deepcool fh10 pwm fan hub that runs from a sata connection. I asked on the store I was going to buy and the clerk said that only same brand fans are compatible with hubs. I thought what he said doesn't seem to make sense and asked if the speed would be controllable anyways and just the rgb wouldn't work. He still insisted that the fan speeds could not be controlled using different brands. I still think that doesn't make much sense since its all pwm. Do you guys know if those fans will work with the hub and be able to control the speed (even if they all will run at the same speed)? Also I know people that had problems using power from the sata ports. I know fans don't draw much current, but is it safe to draw power from a sata connection?

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Is this the fan hub you're looking at? If so, then no, you don't need the same brand of fans to pair with that hub. You just need to make sure that the hub is connected to a PWM fan header on your motherboard and that the fans you're pairing with the hub are all PWM.

However if you're going with the Arctic fans, they have a daisy chain end which negates the need for a PWM hub...

Lutfij

Titan

Is this the fan hub you're looking at? If so, then no, you don't need the same brand of fans to pair with that hub. You just need to make sure that the hub is connected to a PWM fan header on your motherboard and that the fans you're pairing with the hub are all PWM.

However if you're going with the Arctic fans, they have a daisy chain end which negates the need for a PWM hub...

Solution
Sep 2, 2020

That is exactly the hub I was looking for. The fans being PST doesn't change anything right? Somehow on the store I am going to buy them they only have stock of the PST ones. Even having a daisy chain, I prefer to still have an hub in case I had more fans in the future.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OP, you are exactly right. The store clerk has many things totally wrong! Lutfij certainly gave you the right info. For your other questions, the PST feature (daisy-chain connectors on each fan) does NOT change the fan type or requirements at all - that is simply a convenience feature for someone who does not want a Hub. And yes, you can use the SATA power connection for this with no problem. Those fans are spec'd to draw 0.12 A max per fan (typical for this fan type) whereas a SATA power connector can easily deliver 10 times what four of those fans might use.