*NOOB QUESTION* D:\I386\asms error when install xp

itchy99

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Hi

this might be a noob question, but i formatted my HP Pavilion dv5020ca and when installing XP Pro Corporate, during the set up I get the D:\I386\asms error.

Can anyone shed some light as to how to get around this??

I don't think that I am missing anything, I've checked the BIOS and I didn't see an option to change from SATA to native, so I don't think it's that...

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks guys!

willjackson00

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I was having the same errors when attempting to install XP home to a dell machine that I was working on for a customer. I tried everything I knew to fix the problem, even down to swapping out drives, memory, cleaning the laser on the CD-rom.

What eventually fixed the problem was when I burned the same ISO from a different program besides Nero.

I used PowerISO and burned it with the default settings and everything ran smooth.

Also another solution that seemed to help out a few other people was to burn the image to a DVD, try that if this doesn't help you.

Another good forum to check out on this issue is http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/windows-xp/9068-failed-installtion-d-i386-asms.html

Hope this helps!

TRENDING THREADS