blud7027

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
thinking of getting an external hdd. im thinking of getting usb3.0 go flex or some other brands. the question is can i use that hdd to my usb2.0 cause my motherboard doesn't support it yet. hoping to upgrade my board within the next couple of months. is there any disadvantage or advantage , speed etc....

Solution
Yes no problemUSB 3 devices are backwards compatable to USB2. I have a WD My passport USB3.0 Drive and use it on several computers most of which have only USB 2.

coffeecoffee

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009

Ah ha! On the contrary my friend =) to get your PC to recognize your eSATA drive without booting, simply connect + power on the drive and put the PC to sleep, then turn it back on 10 seconds later and ta-da! your e-sata drive has been detected! saves plenty of time ^_^Y

~Coffee

esata is hot swappable but depends on 2 things: your controller (minimum ICH 6 I think) and your OS (window vista and 7). No need to restart or hibernate or sleep what so ever.

Although I think usb 3.0 is a better way to go since usb is by far more common than esata and I am seeing the number of usb 3.0 is now catching up close to the number of esata.

capaill

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008

If the cost is the same, then Yes.
I read a test recently where it was shown that using a usb3.0 drive in a usb2.0 port was quicker than a usb2.0 drive in the same port.
Plus you'll have a nice fast hard drive for when you eventually do get usb3.0 ports.

..When buying a seperate enclosure and a Hard drive to go into it, I look for both esata and USB3. For HDDs esata is slightly faster than USB3 even though spec is higher for USB3 (native vs translation).
.. Most of the newer compact BU HDDs do not sport both interfaces.
.. Usb3 will be more portable (ie going from a Desktop -> laptop)
.. For esata and desktop, would want a front panel estata - easiier to connect/disconnect.
.. esata requires seperate power I think, while USB3 provides more power (Current capability) than USB2 which ielimiates external power for a drive over 2.5 W.

As stated earlier, USB3 is backwards compatable with USB2 which also improves porability.