Noob Thermal Paste question (Athlon 64 3200)

Neon_Genocide

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I have been changing the hardware in my computer for a few times, but always with Intel chips. This is the first time I have used an Athlon chip and was surprised when it arrived that the entire top of the chip is covered with a metal cover. Do you add the thermal paste directly to that metal cover than add the cpu cooler, or does that metal cover come off. I am used to seeing the silicon not this cover.

Its an Athlon 64 3200+ with a Arctic Cooling Silencer 64 Ultra

If you look at the bottom of the heatsink, you should see factory applied thermal "pad". They've been coming through that way. No need to apply your own. And before somebody tells you it ain't worth a hoot.... they are wrong ! If by chance it didn't.....? eh, use your imagination......

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I have been changing the hardware in my computer for a few times, but always with Intel chips. This is the first time I have used an Athlon chip and was surprised when it arrived that the entire top of the chip is covered with a metal cover. Do you add the thermal paste directly to that metal cover than add the cpu cooler, or does that metal cover come off. I am used to seeing the silicon not this cover.

I beg of all you newbies please stop with the "Noob 'whatever' question." I've been seeing too much of it lately, the only stupid question was the one that wasn't asked. I would much rather you ask the question rather that have you fvck up your hardware, no one likes that and its a shame when it happens when it could have been prevented.

liquidpaper007

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005

those are some old intel cpu's all the new ones have the heat spreader on them.

Neon_Genocide

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
yeah I haven't upgraded in a long time something like 5 years or so. I was still running off a gforce 4 and and a very old celeron.

Thanks for all the help.

TRENDING THREADS