Noob to overclocking

Wilson1890

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
First off im new to pc gaming i have a relitivly good computer or so i think i just want to push my cpu to around 3.9ghz i dont have a clue how to do it like if i need a program to do it ? ive over clocked my gpu which is running at 1000mhz x 1450 which is a 7950 and running fine any help would be appreciated

Comp Specs
Fx6300
ga970a mobo
xfx 7950 superclocked
cx600 psu
8gb corsair ram

pit_1209

Distinguished
Go into the bios and just up the multiplier of the cpu until the frecuency you want, is that easy on this cpu, but I don´t advice doing so with stock cooler not past 3.8ghz like mine, you have a great mobo but maybe after 3.9 you have to change the voltages and go little by little and must need a aftermarket cooler.

pit_1209

Distinguished

Remember to go little by little, don´t go past 3.9ghz max not until you have an aftermarket cooler and can see what´s the limit without changing voltages.

computerfreak1

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

DO NOT overclock on a stock cooler, that would be a terrible choice. Buy a hyper 212 evo for 35 bucks. trust me you do not wanna oc on a stock cooler.

computerfreak1

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

But that is a terrible choice, just because you've done it does not make it a good idea. Oc'ing on the stock cooler is a very dumb choice.

pit_1209

Distinguished
Is a bad choice, yes but if you´re not messing with voltages and making a mild oc like that nothing will happen, especially if he has a good case. We´re talking about a cpu that likes to go up to 4.5/7 on air with a good aftermarket cooler and with stock is supposed to go up to 4.1 ghz and 3.8ghz all cores with turbo.

Talking about turbo, remember to turn that off on the bios when ocing, you can leave cool n´quiet option on.

computerfreak1

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

But i don't think it's a good idea to tell someone that's new to overclocking to overclock to 3.8 on a stock cooler.

pit_1209

Distinguished

My friend, nothing will happen stop worrying, I assure you that, either case he´s going to buy an aftermarket cooler next week, that´s when you should worries he don´t fries his cpu like someone on the forum that did that with a bad mobo and a 1ghz oc.

pit_1209

Distinguished

See the number 1 marked setting, there you change the multiplier until the frecuency you want, turn perfomance boost off and test it with prime 95 for stability, is better to buy an aftermarket cooler first and never exceed 60c, you can see those temps with coretemps.
td3r.jpg

Skpstr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
Just out of curiosity, I have an FX-6300 on an MSI 970-G43. Using the OC Genie auto setting, it goes to 3.8 Ghz, but will then cycle (every 15 sec. or so on idle) to 4.1 Ghz and back again. Is that normal?

Also, if I want to put it to 4.1, would a 212 cooler be sufficient?

pit_1209

Distinguished

If your temps are ok, that´s the turbo core of the cpu that put all the cores on 3.8ghz and 1 module to 4.1ghz on load, sometimes frecuency spikes for a little moment and maybe that´s what you´re seeing.

I don´t recommend oc on that mobo, I´ve red some problems in the vrm of that board so it can be dangerous but with a good mobo it can go to 4.4ghz with that evo.

Skpstr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
Figures lol. I asked a bunch of questions here, had an Asus M5A97 picked out, and had to shave the budget at the last minute. Cut my RAM in half, and the mobo was the only other place I could squeeze out any $$$ :) Didn't figure it would be a big issue as I was only going to OC to 4.1 Ghz.

Should this mobo be ok for now if I don't OC? What about turbo mode to 3.8Ghz? Or should I just disable that to make sure I stay at the stock 3.5Ghz for now?

pit_1209

Distinguished

Yes it will be fine stock and you can leave turbo mode on.

pit_1209

Distinguished

Remember in the future to buy an aftermarket cooler before ocing, a 212 evo ($35) will cover most oc.