[noob]Video card

Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario 3045us notebook. I was trying to figure out
the video card that this laptop comes with. Can someone tell me how I
could do this? TIA

Doughnut wrote:
> Sis 650 graphics processor,

Thanks for the info. Btw how did you get that info. Is it possible to
look it up in Device Manager (or somewhere in Control Panel)?

>not something any good for games tho.

Actually I was planning to buy some games, so was trying to figure out
what will work on my notebook. Any suggestions?

>its built
> into the mainboard chipset which is part of the 650 chipset in other words
> its intergrated.

Btw, is there some memory that is allocated to the video card/ graphics
processor? And another noob Q - is it possible to buy a video card for
a laptop as a slot card (similar to a wireless card that can be
inserted into the slots on the side of the notebook)

Sis 650 graphics processor, not something any good for games tho. its built
into the mainboard chipset which is part of the 650 chipset in other words
its intergrated.

doughnut

<mmu2643@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Compaq Presario 3045us notebook. I was trying to figure out
> the video card that this laptop comes with. Can someone tell me how I
> could do this? TIA

geoff

> Doughnut wrote:
> > Sis 650 graphics processor,
>
> Thanks for the info. Btw how did you get that info. Is it
> possible to look it up in Device Manager (or somewhere in
> Control Panel)?
>
> > not something any good for games tho.
>
> Actually I was planning to buy some games, so was trying
> to figure out what will work on my notebook. Any
> suggestions?

don't buy the latest and greatest, it'll struggle i'd think (weak 3D) also
current games need a more powerful machine in general (fast cpu, more
memory) etc
basicly check the game will run ok before you buy i'd say

> > its built
> > into the mainboard chipset which is part of the 650
> > chipset in other words its intergrated.
>
> Btw, is there some memory that is allocated to the video
> card/ graphics processor? And another noob Q - is it
> possible to buy a video card for a laptop as a slot card
> (similar to a wireless card that can be inserted into the
> slots on the side of the notebook)

ermm, prob not, on some laptops you can upgrade em (some dells i know you
can upgrade the video card)

mmu2643@gmail.com wrote:

> Actually I was planning to buy some games, so was trying to figure out
> what will work on my notebook. Any suggestions?

Nope. Your graphics card isn't suited for any modern game. You could try an
old-fashioned game like Pong but I don't think that's what you want... :)

>> its built
>> into the mainboard chipset which is part of the 650 chipset in other
>> words its intergrated.
>
> And another noob Q - is it possible to buy a
> video card for a laptop as a slot card (similar to a wireless card
> that can be inserted into the slots on the side of the notebook)

Nope - you'll have to make do with what you've got.

=- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands

Geoff wrote:
> don't buy the latest and greatest, it'll struggle i'd think (weak 3D) also
> current games need a more powerful machine in general (fast cpu, more
> memory) etc
> basicly check the game will run ok before you buy i'd say

So when buying a video/graphics card what are the features to look for?
As in could you maybe advice on specs for what would be considered a
good graphics card.

> ermm, prob not, on some laptops you can upgrade em (some dells i know you
> can upgrade the video card)

Does this upgradation require physical changes to the notebook or can I
just buy a video card and use it in the PC card slot?

Brian Dickens (remove-this) wrote:

> Nope. Your graphics card isn't suited for any modern game. You could try an
> old-fashioned game like Pong but I don't think that's what you want... :)

Yeah, was hoping to play some of the newer games. Anyways still hunting
for some game thats good and can be played on my notebook. The config I
have is as follows, any suggestions are most welcome:

# 2.40 GHz Intel Pentium 4
# 512 MB DDR SDRAM
# 60 GB Hard Disk
# CD-RW: 24x (read), 8x (write), 8x (rewrite); DVD-ROM: 8x;
# Windows XP Home Edition
# Graphics Card: SiS 650 UMA
# Graphics RAM: 64 MB

> > And another noob Q - is it possible to buy a
> > video card for a laptop as a slot card (similar to a wireless card
> > that can be inserted into the slots on the side of the notebook)
>
> Nope - you'll have to make do with what you've got.

So is there such a thing as a video card that can be plugged into the
PC card slot - maybe not for my notebook - but I was just curious as to
whether there are video cards that can be used with the PC card slot or
some external port or some such(pardon the naivete:).

Brian Dickens (remove-this) wrote:

> > # Graphics Card: SiS 650 UMA
>
> Unified Memory Architecture, slows down things even more.
>
> > So is there such a thing as a video card that can be plugged into the
> > PC card slot
>
> Nope.

So when buying a video/graphics card what are the features to look for?
As in could you maybe advice on specs for what would be considered a
good graphics card(I am not asking for my current notebook - just
curious as to what would be good since I do plan to eventually buy a
new notebook or PC).

> > - maybe not for my notebook - but I was just curious as
> > to whether there are video cards that can be used with the PC card
> > slot or some external port or some such(pardon the naivete:).
>
> There are a few laptops out there which allow replacement of the videocard,
> but I'm pretty sure your laptop isn't one of them.

Does the replacement of the videocard require changing the motherboard?
(If I am not mistaken video cards are integrated with the motherboard,
aren't they?) Again I ask this not with respect to my laptop - just
wondering how this works.

Doughnut wrote:
> You cant use another video card with your laptop, you can play games like
> age of empires and theme hospital but dont expect to much out of it, if you
> want a laptop to play games then you need a new one.
>
> doughnut

So when buying a video/graphics card what are the features to look for?

As in could you maybe advice on specs for what would be considered a
good graphics card in a new laptop/pc?

> Yeah, was hoping to play some of the newer games. Anyways still hunting
> for some game thats good and can be played on my notebook. The config I
> have is as follows, any suggestions are most welcome:

Googling shows the SiS650 integrates the SiS645 northbridge with the SiS315
graphics core. According to this article,
http://www.digit-life.com/articles/sis315/ , it's competitive with the likes
of a Geforce2 MX. Older titles like Quake III can run at full speed at max
quality settings. Depending on the maturity of the drivers, newer games will
work, too, but the speed will be dead-slow.

> So is there such a thing as a video card that can be plugged into the
> PC card slot - maybe not for my notebook - but I was just curious as to
> whether there are video cards that can be used with the PC card slot or
> some external port or some such(pardon the naivete:).

Upgradable video cards exist for laptops. nVidia's version is called mobile
AGP package (MAP). ATi's have names like E32 or S64. It's a plug-in circuit
board the size of a 3.5" floppy disk containing both the GPU and video RAM.
The MAP card can be upgraded as easily as adding more SODIMM memory or
replacing the hard disk.

Only select high-end laptops have the MAP slot. And nVidia and ATi MAP cards
are obviously not interchangeable. Since your laptop's video is integrated
into the northbridge (and more importantly, it's SiS), you cannot upgrade
the video.

mmu2643@gmail.com wrote:

> # Graphics Card: SiS 650 UMA

Unified Memory Architecture, slows down things even more.

> So is there such a thing as a video card that can be plugged into the
> PC card slot

Nope.

> - maybe not for my notebook - but I was just curious as
> to whether there are video cards that can be used with the PC card
> slot or some external port or some such(pardon the naivete:).

There are a few laptops out there which allow replacement of the videocard,
but I'm pretty sure your laptop isn't one of them.

If you want a better videocard, it looks like you'll have to replace your
laptop entirely.

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 00:21:01 +0100, "Doughnut" <doughnut@doughnut.com>
wrote:

>You cant use another video card with your laptop, you can play games like
>age of empires and theme hospital but dont expect to much out of it, if you
>want a laptop to play games then you need a new one.

Trying to keep up with the latest games with a laptop is doomed to
failure. Not only must you ask "how?" but "why?"
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

www.richardsuk.f9.co.uk
Website of "Robot Wars" middleweight "Broadsword IV"

Think about all those people cramming desktop hardware into small
form-factor PCs, or bolting handles to their cases. Laptops with Mobility
Radeon 9800 or X800 chipsets are fast enough for today's games. Expensive,
sure. Pathetic battery life, yep. Enough heat to cause sterility, fair
enough. But gaming laptops are the best for LAN parties, even more tempting
if you can claim business expense...

mmu2643@gmail.com wrote:

>>> So is there such a thing as a video card that can be plugged into
>>> the PC card slot
>>
>> Nope.
>
> So when buying a video/graphics card what are the features to look
> for? As in could you maybe advice on specs for what would be
> considered a good graphics card(I am not asking for my current
> notebook - just curious as to what would be good since I do plan to
> eventually buy a new notebook or PC).

When you eventually buy a new notebook, it should have an ATi Radeon
Mobility video chipset or a nVidia GeForce Go video chipset. I'd have to
look up the most recent models, though.

>> There are a few laptops out there which allow replacement of the
>> videocard, but I'm pretty sure your laptop isn't one of them.
>
> Does the replacement of the videocard require changing the
> motherboard? (If I am not mistaken video cards are integrated with
> the motherboard, aren't they?) Again I ask this not with respect to
> my laptop - just wondering how this works.

With most laptops, you cannot change videocards. And replacing the
motherboard is a no-go --- you'd be better off buying a new laptop.

The few high-end laptops with removable graphics cards contain some sort of
module which can be removed and replaced. However, since your laptop isn't
one with a replacable videocard this doesn't apply to your situation.

=- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands

TRENDING THREADS