[SOLVED] Noobie help - Need a PSU upgrade but I have no idea what's compatible

Jul 11, 2020
Someone gave me an old server which I was hoping to turn into a secondary gaming rig for my bedroom. I know servers aren't ideal for gaming but I thought I may as well use it for something. I decided to upgrade the graphics card to an RX 570 and went out and bought one, only to discover that the outputs from the PSU were not 8-pin PCI Express ports but 8-pin EPS ports.

I was told not to use an adaptor as that can lead to bricking the entire machine, so I decided I may as well go ahead and upgrade the PSU to one with PCI Express output, however I want to be completely sure this time that everything is compatible before I end up having to replace every single component.

The mobo is a Z9PE-D16 - it's a dual-processor - and there are actually two 800W PSUs, that switch in case of loss of power
to the other (DPS-800UB). I'm hoping it will be okay to replace them with just one standard 800W PSU, but I'm not sure how to figure out what will be compatible.

All of the machine specs are here:
https://www.asus.com/au/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/TS700E7RS8/specifications/

How can I figure out what will be compatible? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Solution
So this server has two redundant PSUs ? I don't know about this specific model but more often than not that means that they're also hot swappable, which in turn means that instead of regular ATX cables/connectors there are instead slot type connector between PSU and motherboard. So no, none of DIY market ATX PSUs would be compatible physically.
Edit, yep, here is your PSU.
HTB1_LYyNlLoK1RjSZFuq6xn0XXa7.jpg

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
So this server has two redundant PSUs ? I don't know about this specific model but more often than not that means that they're also hot swappable, which in turn means that instead of regular ATX cables/connectors there are instead slot type connector between PSU and motherboard. So no, none of DIY market ATX PSUs would be compatible physically.
Edit, yep, here is your PSU.
HTB1_LYyNlLoK1RjSZFuq6xn0XXa7.jpg

Solution
Jul 11, 2020
Hi guys, thanks so much for your help! Sorry for the late response, I had email notifications turned on but they weren't coming through so thought no-one had responded. I learned a lot from your responses, thanks!

Changing the case / mobo is out of my budget, so I'm either going to return the graphics card or use an EPS to PCI-E adaptor. I've been told not to do so - how safe/dangerous is it really? Struggling to find info

Hi guys, thanks so much for your help! Sorry for the late response, I had email notifications turned on but they weren't coming through so thought no-one had responded. I learned a lot from your responses, thanks!

Changing the case / mobo is out of my budget, so I'm either going to return the graphics card or use an EPS to PCI-E adaptor. I've been told not to do so - how safe/dangerous is it really? Struggling to find info

With a 140w gpu like the 570 I honestly wouldn't sweat it
Those server psu's are dependable units, They're Delta manufactured, they're very very good quality.

Why not use a GTX1650 instead?
It is about the same capability as a RX570 but runs on pcie slot power only, no aux power input is required.

Adapters are usually not recommended because if a normal psu does not have the 6 or 8 pin graphics power cable, it may not have the power to support one.
That is not likely the case with your psu's.
You may also be able to use sata power based adapter.