pengthao

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to build a new system because my laptop is 5 years old and its time to put this sucker in the ground, or give it to my younger brother. Anyways I am seeking any help on which Parts i should use in my build. I am a noob so any information you have would be beneficial. I want to make the best gaming desktop i can for around 550 so keep that in mind, although a slight bend for better performance might be a lingering thought. I tend to play Starcraft 2, COD, Oblivion. Let's begin, i was thinking of

CPU - AMD Phenom II - X4 965 Black - $130

Graphics - EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - $140

MOBO - BIOSTAR A870 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard - $60

Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL - $45

Power Supply - COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V V2.31 Power Supply

As for the Hard drive i was thinking seagate barracuda and the case just something cheap and stylish no more than 70

Those are the specs that ive come up with so far, please feel free to add any comments to help me improve this build, it would be greatly appreciated.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
Ctrl + V

With AMD's Bulldozer just around the corner (2-3 weeks) i would advise you hold off

you will either
A. Get the same parts you have now cheaper
B. Get better parts for the same money.

either way waiting is going to be a win win situation.

you dont need the 965 phenom when you can just over clock the 955

the motherboard is a dead end and obsolete in 3 weeks when the new bulldozer processors are released . Even if you cant afford one now you would be foolish to cut off an upgrade path .
Get a motherboard with a 970 series chip set

You dont need 8 gig of ram for gaming . 2 x2 gig of 1600 Mhz , running at 1.5 volt is what you need

pengthao

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
hi all,

what is the AMD bulldozer? I am assuming that all other upgrades are coming out soon too, does that mean the prices of all older equipment drop? And by how much usually? From the looks of it I need a newer motherboard in order to upgrade in the future. Which motherboard would you guys recommend? Also is 8gb memory overkill for gaming?
thanks guys

Peng

The only motherboards that support all of Bulldozers power features have 970 or 990 series chip sets .
Head to newegg and search for AM3+ motherboards and the 970 series chip set

IMO the best is the M5A97, but eh gigabyte boards are good too and have some advantages

Bulldozer is already in production , and some server models are shipping already . The cheapest model that will turn up for retail [ probably on October 12] will be a X6 for around the $170 mark .