[SOLVED] Normal cold boot time for an i7 10510u?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
what would you say should be the normal cold boot time for machine with an i7 10510u with 32 GB DDR4 2667 mhz ram installed ? With a machine with standard Windows 10 Pro installation (no bloatware installed)? Running an NVME drive PCIE 3 x 4.

Solution
what would you say should be the normal cold boot time for machine with an i7 10510u with 32 GB DDR4 2667 mhz ram installed ? With a machine with standard Windows 10 Pro installation (no bloatware installed)? Running an NVME drive PCIE 3 x 4.
There is no "normal", IMO. The software that is loaded at boot, and even your DHCP server on your network impact boot time. Less than 30 seconds is a reasonable boot time, IMO.

kanewolf

Titan
There is no "normal", IMO. The software that is loaded at boot, and even your DHCP server on your network impact boot time. Less than 30 seconds is a reasonable boot time, IMO.

Solution

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020

27 sec with fastboot disabled in bios and 32 sec with fastboot enabled in the bios? Could there be something wrong with Asus firmware?

How are you measuring it?
I look at cold boot time as power on to the desktop.
In my case it's about 9 secs.
You have more single core speed than I have but I have more multi core speed than you have.
No idea how many cores windows uses to get to the desktop.

Not really 'fair' to judge a CPU's boot time as excessive if 20 of those 30 seconds are spent in assorted BIOS delays/RAM testing, etc.; from the time it actually begins to to truly boot (WIndows spinning wheel widget starts twirling at boot) to desktop is likely the 'real' time spent booting, probably 6-10 seconds.