normal cpu temp while gaming?

Apr 23, 2018
Hi guys i was gaming csgo,rainbow six siege, gta v,... then i notice that my cpu was at 96C when its idle its 30 - 40 C and its i7 7700 3.6Ghz . Is this normal? plz help.

thx.

Solution
The 7700 was notorious for temperature spikes. According to Intel, it will run just fine at temperatures of up to 100C(which you're very close to). I'd probably look into upgrading your thermal paste and/or replacing the heat sink with something better(especially if it's just a stock heat sink). What to get will depend on what type of case/room you have available.

toshibitsu

Distinguished
The 7700 was notorious for temperature spikes. According to Intel, it will run just fine at temperatures of up to 100C(which you're very close to). I'd probably look into upgrading your thermal paste and/or replacing the heat sink with something better(especially if it's just a stock heat sink). What to get will depend on what type of case/room you have available.

Solution
no, for gaming, that's not normal. stress testing maybe, but even then If my cpu went over 65c gaming and 80c stress (specially at stock speeds), i'd be looking at options like toshibitsu has suggested.

Run HWMon while gaming, and post a screenshot so we can see what's going on. I'm surprised your not throttling at those temps. maybe the CPU cooler fan isn't spinning at full speed, or as toshibitsu said, thermal paste needs replacing.