Question normal for PNY SSD to read at about half advertised speed?

Aug 16, 2022
So I got myself a PNY SSD called "PNY 250 GB XLR8 CM3031"
It clearly states on the box and store that it reads up/sequential read: 3500 mb/s
I run my main OS on a kingston SSD (which reads at the advertised speeds (500 mb/s) even going a little faster (about 550 mb/s)) and use the PNY SSD on the side as storage, however it only reads at speed around 1500 mb/s. Did I forget a driver or setting? I used CrystalDiskMark as test device. It only has 112/233 GB written on it.
Any advice? or is this a faulty product and I need to send it back? or does the PNY SSD rapidly slow down in read speed as the disk gets filled up? or is this normal for m.2 SSD's?

kanewolf

Titan
So I got myself a PNY SSD called "PNY 250 GB XLR8 CM3031"
It clearly states on the box and store that it reads up/sequential read: 3500 mb/s
I run my main OS on a kingston SSD (which reads at the advertised speeds (500 mb/s) even going a little faster (about 550 mb/s)) and use the PNY SSD on the side as storage, however it only reads at speed around 1500 mb/s. Did I forget a driver or setting? I used CrystalDiskMark as test device. It only has 112/233 GB written on it.
Any advice? or is this a faulty product and I need to send it back? or does the PNY SSD rapidly slow down in read speed as the disk gets filled up? or is this normal for m.2 SSD's?
That maximum speed will depend on your motherboard having a PCIe 3.0 x4 interface. What motherboard do you have ?

kanewolf

Titan
aha, yeah that is very likely the cause, I run on a B450 AORUS, I sort of went blind into PC building and keep realising hardware is limited by eachother
If you look at the specs for your motherboard, one of the slots is an X4 and one is an X2 -- https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/sp#sp
If you have disk in the M2B socket, then you only get 1/2 performance. The M2B socket is the one furthest away from the CPU socket. See page 5 of your motherboard manual.

Reactions: Karadjgne
Aug 16, 2022