Question normal hdd, or hybrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frost.hanta

Prominent
Jul 31, 2018
so im planning to buy a new 2,5" hdd or hybrid drive for my laptop (a 2-tb one) but im not sure wich one i should get, im tempted to buy a hybrid because i play a lot of videogames and i could use the faster load time and the small speed upgrade, but at the same time im a bit reluctant because i dont know if it would be worth the 100$ price.

i also have a question about the hybrid drive.
if its a 2-tb drive, is that the ssd and hhd space put together? or is it just the hdd space + 128 gigs or so of ssd

The hybrid drives don't really have 2 drives inside, they see them as one. So it puts the things that need to load up fast on the SSD part - but I don't think you have control as to what goes on that part, unless I am mistaken.

As Kanewolf said - maybe better just to buy an SSD - depends on how much space you need.

frost.hanta

Prominent
Jul 31, 2018
For $100, I would recommend a 500GB SSD internally, then put whatever HDD you have now in an external enclosure and use it as space for things like videos that you don't need to take with you all the time.
hmm maybe i should do that.
i´ll look a bit more into that, but for now im gonna look at a couple of other people replying here to make sure if i should do what you said

frost.hanta

Prominent
Jul 31, 2018
May we know what your budget is and what size is your existing HDD as well as what Country you are buying the products from?
well rn my budget is 100, but my birthday is gonna come in 1 and a half weeks, and i only wished 2 things + i have a lot of relatives + they are really generous so ill prolly have a budget of 250 euros or so in 1 and a half weeks. the hdd that i have rn has 1 tb of space. the hdd came with my laptop i bought, and what do you mean with "the products"? you mean like everything tech? cuz if so then really anything in germany (cuz thats where i live), but i also dont mind buying products from really anywhere

frost.hanta

Prominent
Jul 31, 2018
For laptops (or any other portable device) you shouldn't even consider a spinning drive. One little knock, or drop and your data is gone. Buy the largest SSD you can afford to fit in that device and be done with it.
well, i really use my laptop more as a desktop, and i dont really take it anywhere much (aside from the accasional trip to my garden) and i dont think i will be able to afford a 1.5 or 2 tb ssd, so yeah

frost.hanta

Prominent
Jul 31, 2018
hmm you know guys. i might just build a desktop with whatever ive got (300 euros) out of used parts, and use that as my main rig, 3,5" hdds are alot cheaper anyway and i could just upgrade it through the years + there wouldnt be all of these problems that ive got rn because i have a laptop and not a pc. although, i dont know, i have a good friend that can build pc´s and maybe he could also help me with that if im gonna do that. i dont know, what do you guys think? my laptop is more like a desktop anyway, and less of a laptop, just, without the pluses of an actuall desktop, + i have an old original good condition ps1 that i could prolly sell for a couple euros, and a couple more things too,
what do you guys think i should do?

Laptops are all OK - but if you want something more powerful, you need to go to Desktop
Once you go to Desktop, you've got to buy keyboard/mouse/monitor = 200+ euro and at least 300+ euro on a basic computer
Ideally, 700 Euro would get you everything and make it all kick arse

frost.hanta

Prominent
Jul 31, 2018
Laptops are all OK - but if you want something more powerful, you need to go to Desktop
Once you go to Desktop, you've got to buy keyboard/mouse/monitor = 200+ euro and at least 300+ euro on a basic computer
Ideally, 700 Euro would get you everything and make it all kick arse
i really already have almost all the periphrals, except the most expensive one, the monitor, but other than that, i could also wait a couple of years for me to at least get 500 euros, and sadly im way to joung to get a job, wich will only make the process slower :/

popatim

Titan
The Seagate & Toshiba Hyrbid drives have 8GB of SSD cache and, as mentioned already, you have no control over it.
It generally caches the most frequently used files so would be worthless for someone who runs alot of different applications like you do.

The WD Black2 Hybrid had a 120GB SSD that was separate from the HDD portion but is no longer produced afaik.

I would just wait and see how much you get towards a large new SSD. Even the Samsung 860Evo is at a good price these days

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor (€72.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€75.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€62.53 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (€69.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 550 - 640 4 GB PULSE Video Card (€94.32 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case (€29.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€64.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Monitor: BenQ - GL2250HM 21.5" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor (€98.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €567.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-17 21:47 CET+0100

Missing "good" GPU but will do for now
Can upgrade CPU in future
Can upgrade everything when more money comes :)

frost.hanta

Prominent
Jul 31, 2018
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor (€72.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€75.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€62.53 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (€69.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 550 - 640 4 GB PULSE Video Card (€94.32 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case (€29.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€64.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Monitor: BenQ - GL2250HM 21.5" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor (€98.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €567.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-17 21:47 CET+0100

Missing "good" GPU but will do for now
Can upgrade CPU in future
Can upgrade everything when more money comes :)

hey, thanks for sending me that, if i maybe replace some of the parts in the list with used ones, i may be able to affoard that in 2 or so years. but thanks for the help anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.