Question Normal idle temp for Ryzen 7 2700X?

Sep 23, 2019
Just built a rig around the 2700X with the stock Wraith Prism Cooler. I've noticed that during regular sessions of Apex or PUBG, the CPU fan doesn't really spool up too much but I started playing a bit of WoW and noticed that my CPU fan was at max speed and keeping the temps right around 72C. Now I left it alone for a bit but my idle temps were no lower than 53C. All of these observations were used with Ryzen Master. I know that 80C+ is kinda normal for a load but it felt like this came out of nowhere and I'm kinda wondering if I should buy an AIO for the CPU. If the case is being called into question, its the Phanteks P300

Beowolfbreko

Reputable
Mar 12, 2019
I wold go for aftermarket air cooling solution.There are noctua,dark rock,cooler master and scyhe mugen they will keep 2700x cool.I have 2700x oc to 4.2 with noctua nhd15 and my temps wile gaming apex and pubg dont go over 50c.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Sep 23, 2019
That sounds like a good solution. I’m gonna look around and try and find out a good price point for it. Watching some LTT about air vs water cooling, I think you’re correct. I just wish my idle temp was much lower

Reactions: Beowolfbreko

Beowolfbreko

Reputable
Mar 12, 2019
That sounds like a good solution. I’m gonna look around and try and find out a good price point for it. Watching some LTT about air vs water cooling, I think you’re correct. I just wish my idle temp was much lower
You can buy dark rock 4 is good solution its not chep bit its simular to ndh15 cooling perfomance.Just look how high is cooler can it fit yout panteh p300 case i think max hight for CPU coolers for your case is 160mm.For your case you can buy (dark rock 4,noctua nh-u12,cooler master hayper evo black edition.) All good coolers.Among them dark rock 4 i think perform beter look for some tests online compare them and see what cooler is best for you.I wold segest to se scythe coolers alsow if you have that products to buy in your country.They are chep and scythe coolers give you good cooling.

Last edited:

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Your gaming temperature at 72c is fine so your cooler is doing its job.
I use a negative voltage offset of - .100 volts on my 3700x and my previous 2700x.
This really helps to lower both gaming and idle temperatures without any loss in performance.

Andy

Just for your comparison I have a 2700x at 4.1 Ghz and while the Wraith cooler (65c gaming) was good it was too loud for me so I swapped it for a Deepcool Gammaxx L120mm AIO which keeps it at max 60c gaming (COD WWII ultra settings) etc. Idle 32-40 with the spikes. In high summer when it's warmer you can add 5c to those numbers.

Cheers

Reactions: Beowolfbreko
You're not quite approaching your situation as you should.

A better way to express your concern would be, "What sort of temperature delta over ambient should one expect when using the stock cooler?"

That's really how coolers are measured, as in, how close to ambient will they keep the temperature of the device being cooled.

Without knowing your ambient, your numbers are measurements without a reference by which to gauge them.

We can however say, your temperatures aren't out of this world bad or anything, based on temperatures a 2700x is rated to operate in.

Cooling my 2700x with an NHD15 and an extra pair of server fans on either end of the case piping in cool air from outside of the room the system is running in, typically I see ~10°C over ambient at idle, ~45°C over ambient when performing something stressful such as a Cinebench R20 run, and ~30°C over ambient when gaming. These are decent numbers for air cooling, so bear in mind you'll likely not see much better, and remember to adjust accordingly for your own ambient temperature.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Aio = aircooling.

A 140w 120mm aio is the same capacity as a 140w 120mm aircooler. The difference in temps being the difference in efficiency and effectiveness of the fan/heatsink design.

Don't bother stating 'get aircooling because my Noctua NH-D15....' that's patently unfair to compare that monster king of aircoolers to anything lesser. Point of fact, my old nzxt Kraken X61 280mm aio blows the doors off my Cryorig R1 Ultimate, an aircooler rated a hair under the NH-D15.

The Phanteks P300 has clearance for a 160mm aircooler. Your choice will depend on your expectations and budget. Lower class budget coolers are @ 140-160w and slightly more efficient than the stock Wraith, midrange coolers are closer to 180-200w and big air is @ 220-250w.

The Ryzen 2700x stock can use @ 105w at max stress, so hits low 80's on the stock 130w cooler. To get temps considerably lower will require a cooler of @ 160-200w capacity.

Darkrock 4, NH-D14, scythe fuma2/mugen 5b etc. Basically the mid range coolers. Budget coolers will work, but don't expect big differences to stock levels.

Reactions: Schlachtwolf