Normal or selective start up?

SaveMeJeebus

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
I have never been into msconfig before on my laptop. I had to go into there today inorder to get out of Safe Mode. I noticed my laptop starts in selective but not normal. Should I remain in selective or should I choose normal?

I always use selective -- since some programs install themselves to always run on boot up and you do not want them running all the time but do want to use them occasionally so do not want to remove them from the system - it is best to just deactivate them from the start up menu by unchecking them (thus the need to use selective start so that not all of them load on boot) rather than let them all load every time the system boots.

That said you should also check which programs are being deselected in the selective start and figure out which is the cause of the normal boot not working so that you can either remove that program completely or reinstall it to fix whatever the problem iss that is making the system not boot under a normal boot process ( Since it boots in selective start mode that would tend to show there is a problem with one of the services\startup programs that is not being loaded in selective mode that causes it to not boot properly under normal mode and rather than just leave it and use selective mode you should correct the problem even if you are going to continue to use selective mode !)

BobCharlie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I never adjusted mine either and it too was on Selective, with services and start up checked, and original boot unselected. I have the boot order modified in the bios, so that seems like it might be the reason it's on Selective.