Question Normal overclock temps for 9700k?

jaredmanson56

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
Hello i overclocked my 9700k to 4.8 ghz and it idles around 50-54C. I have seen it go up to but not over 75C during heavy loads with gaming. I was wondering if this should be concerning or not as this is my first time overclocking.
i7-9700k
motherboard- Asus z390-a
cooler- Corsair Hydro Series™ H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler

SlugBugBuddy

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
The i7-9700k's Max operating tJunction Temp is closer to 95-100c although those are very dangerous if you want to keep that CPU for more than a month.

if you want to know for sure if it wont go past 75-80c, i would suggest downloading Cinebench R20 from the Microsoft store and running and All Core bench, while monitoring temps with CPUID's HWMonitor, or whatever monitoring software you're currently using
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

If you plan on overclocking any more past that, I would suggest setting a more aggressive fan curve on iCue for your H100i, or possibly just setting it to Extreme on the 2 Rad Fans, and balanced on the Pump

The i7-9700k's Max operating tJunction Temp is closer to 95-100c although those are very dangerous if you want to keep that CPU for more than a month.
And yet this is home for most laptops!

You don't want your chip getting this hot because it induces thermal throttling. On desktops, there's no reason for that to happen because there's ample space for appropriately sized coolers.

Your H110i is a good cooler.

Bobbysix

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019
That idle temp does seem a bit high - which is the temperature of your room? I get temps that high during the summer when the room temperature is about 30 degrees Celsius.