[SOLVED] normal Ryzen 1600 temperature with liquid cooling?

theableton

Commendable
Jul 31, 2019
pardon for my bad grammar and english.

Hello there, I have a MasterLiquid ML240R installed on my Ryzen 1600. Recently I wanted to try overclocking my CPU and I decided to run a stress test first using OCCT with the stock CPU voltage and speed. During the test, the CPU temperature went up to 73-75C, even though I already installed an AIO Cooler. I searched on the internet people using the same CPU with stock cooler are able to get lower temperature. Is this normal if its on a stress test? Is there something that I can do to lower the temperature? Should I reapply thermal paste and reinstall the pump?

I am not sure what is the ambient temperature of my room but I have the AC turned on and the idle CPU temperature is around 33-39C.

additional info: I installed the radiator/intake fans on the front of my pc case with two air exhaust fans at the top and one at the back.

I also include HWiNFO screenshot during the test:
nUYERJ2.png

Solution
For me, your temps should be 10c cooler than you are hitting. It's possible the cooler isn't seated correctly, or the paste hasn't taken as it should. So re-seat it and reapply thermal paste again just to be sure.

With that AIO you should be getting idle temps 25-30, gaming 45-60 game dependant, and max temp at stock on stress, about 65-70c.

Try setting your vcore (CPU voltage) to manual and at 1.275 or 1.3v. Then run the tests again. See if the temps come down a little.

The 1600 will run perfectly well with a manual voltage of 1.275-1.3, so the purpose is to find out if your mobo is just overvolting on auto settings which may also account for the slightly higher temps you have.
For me, your temps should be 10c cooler than you are hitting. It's possible the cooler isn't seated correctly, or the paste hasn't taken as it should. So re-seat it and reapply thermal paste again just to be sure.

With that AIO you should be getting idle temps 25-30, gaming 45-60 game dependant, and max temp at stock on stress, about 65-70c.

Try setting your vcore (CPU voltage) to manual and at 1.275 or 1.3v. Then run the tests again. See if the temps come down a little.

The 1600 will run perfectly well with a manual voltage of 1.275-1.3, so the purpose is to find out if your mobo is just overvolting on auto settings which may also account for the slightly higher temps you have.

Solution

theableton

Commendable
Jul 31, 2019

I removed the pump and saw the thermal paste from previous application spreads unevenly to the bottom side of the cpu. I reapplied the thermal paste properly and reinstalled the pump back to the cpu. I also opened the front panel of the case, there is actually a small dust built up on the radiator which is also possibly one of the cause of the high temperature lol. I turned on my pc and run OCCT again, the temperature drop drastically from 70C+ to 45C+ which is HUGEE. Idle temperature also dropped to 25-30C like you mentioned. Thank you for your help! :D

AKa3qnP.png

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Issue was likely solved by reseating the pump correctly. It sounds like it was not making good mated contact with the CPU IHS.

Radiator performance would only be impacted if airflow is severely hindered. A light dusting or a few specks will not impede cooler performance, so unless you had a dirt sweater on the cooling fins, the issue likely was the block installation.

Reactions: theableton
I removed the pump and saw the thermal paste from previous application spreads unevenly to the bottom side of the cpu. I reapplied the thermal paste properly and reinstalled the pump back to the cpu. I also opened the front panel of the case, there is actually a small dust built up on the radiator which is also possibly one of the cause of the high temperature lol. I turned on my pc and run OCCT again, the temperature drop drastically from 70C+ to 45C+ which is HUGEE. Idle temperature also dropped to 25-30C like you mentioned. Thank you for your help! :D

AKa3qnP.png
Glad to be of help :)

Happy gaming :)

It might take a few restarts, cold starts and shut downs for the paste to set properly, specially if you've only applied it. Temps should even out once it sets correctly. Then test again in a day or two, to be sure you are satisfied. A good paste will bring your temps down even further.

Reactions: theableton