Normal speed over LAN cable, slow through wifi

SD_netter

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
Hi
I recently ( a week ago) acquired a 40 mpbs connection. The connection is provided via a LAN cable, without any modem.
However, I've faced this issue since the beginning: I get 40 mbps of speed through LAN cable (as tested on speedtest.net) but the moment i connect via wifi, the speed drops to 20 mbps, and fluctuates wildly, often dropping to 1-2 mbps, so i can hardly browse.
I figured that the issue might be with the NETGEAR N150 router, and I called ISP, who tried to configure the router, but to no avail. I then contacted NETGEAR CC, who were similarly unable to help, despite a lot of modifications to the router configuration.
I then ordered a new router (TP-LINK N300), but (you guessed it) same problem. The ISP is saying that it is not an issue with their end, as a direct connection gives the promised speed.
I tried configuring the router(s) in a hundred different ways (Channel 1, 6, 11, Auto; MTU size 1454, 1492, 1500; Dynamic IP, PPPoE; WEP, WPS) but nothing works. I placed it all over the house, but everywhere the issue is the same.
Another point: I have a second ISP connection of 8mbps, which I hadn't disconnected as I wasn't sure about the new connection, and the routers work absolutely fine with that! So I don't think the issue is with the wireless network adapter in my laptop, or the routers, or the range. Besides, the story is same on my phone and my tab.
I'm at my wits' end as to what to do. I'm sure the issue is with some setting somewhere, but despite scouring google for answers, I've found none. Any help will be much, much appreciated.

SD_netter

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014

Even if I plonk myself with laptop next to the router, with InSSIDer showing me a signal of -35 dBm and little or no interference, the speed is slow and fluctuating. The funny thing is, the moment I disconnect the cable from the WAN port of the router and pop it into the laptop's ethernet port, I instantly get the promised speed.

SD_netter

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
No, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I should have said ethernet cable. The ethernet cable provided by the ISP works without a modem (it's drawn from somewhere in the dark depths of my apartment basement) . So, what I'm doing is, I connect that ethernet cable to the router WAN port and use my laptop over wifi, OR connect the ethernet cable directly to the laptop. In the former case, over wifi, the speed fluctuates; in the latter case, where the ISP's ethernet cable is directly connected to the ethernet port of my laptop, the speed is fine.

USAFRet

Titan

Without knowing more about the setup, you should NOT be connecting that cable to the WAN port.
Direct to the LAN port, turn off everything on the router except the WiFi function, and see what happens.

SD_netter

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014

Well, the ISP pretty much clearly requires me to connect the said cable to the WAN port of the router.
Anyway, I tried what you said, and connected it to the LAN port, and switched on only the wifi. No internet access at all.

LOCASH21

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

Herrera:
I am having the EXACT same problem that you described on this Thread....have you fixed this issue. If so , please tell me what you did to rectify the issue. I can connect with other Desktops and Laptops fine but my Dell Inspiron 14Z has the problem. I am more than certain that the problem is a Setting. I keep getting Failures stating DNS server.

maulik_patel

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
Hello,
I also facing this problem. I got 70 Mbps download speed on my PC which connected Via LAN cable from my TP link WDR- 4300 wifi router. But I didn't get Such speed over wifi. I got only 25-30 Mbps even I very close to wifi router on my laptop/iPhone 6/iPad Air.

Someone networking person gave me one suggestion to replace my router with new AC router with beam forming technology. But I didn't tried this one.
Hope this is the solution of your and mine problem.

zrjones

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
I have the same problem as SD_netter. My Linksys WRT120 was giving me 40-60 Mb/s when using LAN port by testing on speedtest.net. Using wifi I was only getting 1-2 Mb/s. I thought maybe the wifi was somehow dieing, so I obtained a new router. I now have a WRT160 router that when using in the USA, I saw that my wifi download speeds were reaching 6-7 Mb/s. I have now ventured back overseas where this same router is giving me 40-60 Mb/s via the LAN port and only 1-3 Mb/s on wifi. I know for sure the modem is capable of more, but I'm not seeing it. I know that this connection now is PPPoE. Someone please help me with a solution. As with SD_netter, I'm connected by wifi right next to my router or anywhere else gives me the same results.

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

Been a long time but had to correct this. I think what he means to say is that he gets his internet from his ISP via Cat-5 or similar looking cable directly. If he connects that to the WAN port of his router he'll get internet from the LAN ports and WiFi. If he connects the cable thats getting him internet from the company to the lan port of the router, he wont be getting any internet what so ever.