[SOLVED] normal temp of i7 9700k? idle, normal , gaming?

Solution
ChadSam127,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

Please provide full system specs so we can give you an informed answer.

There is no "normal". Under a valid set of test conditions, there are Core temperatures at true "100% workload" and Core temperatures at "1% minimum idle". In contrast, many users are unaware of how to properly test cooling performance, and how they define "full load" and "idle" can be vastly different. There are far too many variables involved to characterize cooling performance down to one simple term. Here's the three basic variables:

Environment: What is your ambient (room) temperature?

Hardware: What is your CPU cooler, case & fans, and is your rig overclocked...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
ChadSam127,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

Please provide full system specs so we can give you an informed answer.

There is no "normal". Under a valid set of test conditions, there are Core temperatures at true "100% workload" and Core temperatures at "1% minimum idle". In contrast, many users are unaware of how to properly test cooling performance, and how they define "full load" and "idle" can be vastly different. There are far too many variables involved to characterize cooling performance down to one simple term. Here's the three basic variables:

Environment: What is your ambient (room) temperature?

Hardware: What is your CPU cooler, case & fans, and is your rig overclocked?

Software: Valid test conditions and a methodical approach will reveal your rigs upper and lower thermal performance capabilities. However, on an adequately cooled rig, gaming generally averages around 55 to 60°C, but can range from 40 to 75°C, depending on how specific gaming titles allocate CPU / GPU workloads. Furthermore, streaming workloads also vary according to connection speed, content and resolution. Simultaneously gaming and streaming introduces yet more variables.

Although "Throttle" temperature for your i7-9700K is 100°C, it’s not advisable to run your CPU near its thermal limit. If your hottest Core is near Throttle temperature, then your CPU is already too hot. The consensus among well informed and highly experienced reviewers, system builders and expert overclockers, is that it's prudent to observe a reasonable thermal margin below Throttle temperature for ultimate stability, performance and longevity.

Accordingly, here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

PdancCI.jpg

At the top of our Forums we have "Stickies" which are information references that are permanently "stuck" in place so they're always available for everyone's benefit. If you look at the top of the CPUs Forum where you posted your question, you'll see a Sticky that explains how to properly test cooling performance. Just click on the link in my signature.

We encourage our Members to check the Stickies as they often have the information you need. This can save you time needlessly searching for answers from sources who might be somewhat less than well informed.

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:

Reactions: ChadSam127
Solution
Apr 19, 2020
depends on your cooling setup? obviously you'll get higher temps on a 20€ aircooler than a 500€ custom loop setup.

anything below 85°C under load is fine. 85-90°C is an indicator you should do something. 90°C+ is when you need to do something.

my ambient room temp is 74F or the AC for my apartment, My cooling set up is the CM Hyper 212 for cpu and 2 outake and corsair 2 front intakes, i took out my front case panel and put an external electric fan to test if its gonna change, and then my temps gone down to 70c for gaming, i didnt OC my cPu, just the GPU, and the temp of the GPU is 70 to 75c stable when gaming and streaming. i am considering to buy an AIO cooler for the Cpu if it continuous to be higher than 85c, my MB is Msi z390 gaming plus and an RTX2060 for GPU , THanks for answering.

scodd

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I run a Noctua NH-U14S on a 9700k at 4.7 on all 8 and max about at about 78 normally. I have seen it hit 88 running handbrake for a few hours when the room temp was higher than usual. I couldn't keep it out of the 90s when running handbrake like that with all 8 at 5.0 no matter how fine I tuned it.