Normal temp with i7 8700k

Jan 24, 2019
My i7 8700k CPU current temp is at 42.5°C / 108.5°F. My GPU is Asrock Phantom Gamming Radeon RX560. Is this temp normal?

That would be OK temps for surfing, watching Youtube, etc., but, would seem a little high for a true idle condition...

Posting what CPU cooler you are using might be helpful when asking CPU temp questions, as certainly many are inadequate for an 8700K under load :)

Download/run Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility, and run the default CPU stress test for 5 minutes....; if temps jump to only 80C, you are fine...

Mar 8, 2019
so i overclocked my 8700k to 5ghz .. idle is around 40 degrees ran prime95 for about an hour got up to about 90 degrees just wondering if this is about normal under that stress load or should i back it off .. when gaming pubg wow or apex sits around 68-72 just wondering if thats in the right zone or should i think about upgrading to a 240mm liquid cooler from a 120mm liquid cooler

Unless planning Prime95/Cinebench marathons, you might be content with 68-72C gaming temps...

Or, you might be content with stock clocks, or, perhaps a somewhat more modest MCE enabled (all core turbo of 4.7 GHz) if that's an option on your mainboard, as 4.7 GHz and core voltage required to hit it are likely a full 35-45 watts less than the heat than 5 GHz...easily.

(Depending on your case's ability to accept a tall cooler, I'd also look fro Youtube comparisons of assorted AIOs compared to a Noctua NH-D15 with your CPU...