[SOLVED] Normal temps under load for a GPU

griffs_build_guide

Prominent
Jun 16, 2020
I am running the EVGA FTW3 Ultra 2080 super. I loaded up ARK and set the graphics to ultra and noticed my gpu was sitting at around 70-75C

Is this normal or is it too hot? My graphics card should be able to handle these games without a problem.

What else can I do to lower the temp or is it okay to play games with your GPU at 70C?

My graphics card is also in the second PCIE slot because the first wasnt working. I have two fans on the ceiling of my case. One exhaust in the back. My radiator is mounted to the front of my case and 2 fans are PULLING air through the rad.

Please help

Solution
The top slot is electrically x16, the bottom slot is electrically x8. Unless you have a card that's seriously powerful, like a 1080ti or better, you'll not come close to saturating the bandwidth of the lower slot, so there's no loss in performance. It just means you eat up a bunch of available pcie lanes in the chipset instead of using the dedicated lanes on the cpu. This can stress the chipset out a little, it's not got the best heatsinking.

As far as the fans go, there's a huge difference between air and airflow. Ideally, you'll want air in low front, traveling through the case, picking up heat, then leaving or being shoved out forcibly by a fan. It's a flow of air in constant motion, in-out.

Your setup isn't a flow, it's a...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Kinda odd that the top pcie isn't working. I've seen it happen with a few 5700/5700xt, but gets resolved as soon as the pc recognised the card finally. The top slot is dedicated pcie lanes to the cpu, the bottom is shared lanes from the chipset.

Top fans should be exhaust. No point shoveing all that rising heat from the gpu right back on itself.

griffs_build_guide

Prominent
Jun 16, 2020
So should I try to put my graphics card back into the first pcie slot as well as change my top fans to outtake? This would mean my only source of intake is from my front radiator fans

Or is changing the top fans really going to change that much of my temps?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The top slot is electrically x16, the bottom slot is electrically x8. Unless you have a card that's seriously powerful, like a 1080ti or better, you'll not come close to saturating the bandwidth of the lower slot, so there's no loss in performance. It just means you eat up a bunch of available pcie lanes in the chipset instead of using the dedicated lanes on the cpu. This can stress the chipset out a little, it's not got the best heatsinking.

As far as the fans go, there's a huge difference between air and airflow. Ideally, you'll want air in low front, traveling through the case, picking up heat, then leaving or being shoved out forcibly by a fan. It's a flow of air in constant motion, in-out.

Your setup isn't a flow, it's a cyclone. Round and round. The top rear fan dumps cooler air into the case, right in front of the rear exhaust. Very little heat gets out that way. Both the top fans are blowing air forcibly down, so any heated exhaust from the gpu gets shoved right back to it and the air from the front intakes gets to do nothing but heat up the case as all its cfm lacks any static pressure to force its way through the case.

Forget the cyclone, you've created an interactive convection oven.

Pull the side panel off and load temps will probably drop 10+°C almost instantly.

Top = exhaust. Bottom = intake. Rear = exhaust. Front = intake. In 90% of cases, almost 100% of mainstream aftermarket cases.

Solution