[SOLVED] Normalclocking a retro CPU

Nov 20, 2021
This is an old PC I'm restoring.
I had to change the mobo's battery and lost all the settings. I'm assuming it restarted in safe defaults.
I'd like to adjust the BIOS settings to normal clock.

Specs:
Code:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz

Package (platform ID)    Socket 775 LGA (0x0)
Base frequency (cores)    266.6 MHz
Rated Bus speed        1066.6 MHz
Stock frequency        2933 MHz

Memory: Kingston DDR2 8500
Memory Frequency        400.0 MHz (2:3)
CAS# latency (CL)        5.0
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD)    5
RAS# Precharge (tRP)        5
Cycle Time (tRAS)        18

So running CPU-Z's bench, with GIGABYTE EasyTune6 open, I noticed the CPU never goes above 2.2 GHZ.
I can reach 2.9 GHz by using the automatic overclocker (CIA2), but I don't want this as I've read it raises voltages way beyond recommended values.

The multiplier oscillates between 6 and 8.5. Never seen it above that even under load. I'm assuming the max multiplier is 11 because CPU-Z shows (6-11) in brackets. Should I adjust it to anything below 2900/266, like 10? NOTE: I don't want to change voltages.

What about the RAM? Should I change its multiplier as well, or will it adjust to the CPU?

TL;DR I'm trying to figure out a safe stock setting, so that the CPU can reach its max stock freq (without overclocking), and if possible a 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio, as I've read that is the best setting.

What should I tune in the BIOS?

Solution
Thanks for your response.

Well I did that. The multiplier now oscillates between 6 and 11, so the CPU now reaches its max frequency. FSB still running at 266 MHz, which is how it was before the change.

RAM

In the BIOS, the RAM Performance enhancement setting is at "turbo" (the other options being standard and extreme). It was at turbo even at safe defaults. The help says any option above standard might cause issues when overclocking (which I'm not). So I left it like that. I hope it is Ok.
About the power, this RAM specs say to power the modules at 1.8V for 5 5 5 18, which is what it sits now at.

However the FSB to RAM ratio is still 2:3. CPU-Z shows 400 MHz for the DRAM, while ET6 shows 800 MHz. I assume it is 400MHz because...
Nov 20, 2021

just loading optimized defaults in the BIOS will reset everything to factory defaults which will have your processor at it's stock Intel specs.
Well I did that. The multiplier now oscillates between 6 and 11, so the CPU now reaches its max frequency. FSB still running at 266 MHz, which is how it was before the change.

RAM
you would just enter the manufacturer rated speed, voltage, & timings
In the BIOS, the RAM Performance enhancement setting is at "turbo" (the other options being standard and extreme). It was at turbo even at safe defaults. The help says any option above standard might cause issues when overclocking (which I'm not). So I left it like that. I hope it is Ok.
About the power, this RAM specs say to power the modules at 1.8V for 5 5 5 18, which is what it sits now at.

However the FSB to RAM ratio is still 2:3. CPU-Z shows 400 MHz for the DRAM, while ET6 shows 800 MHz. I assume it is 400MHz because 266/400 is where the 2/3 comes from.
Should I strive for an 1:1 ratio, or is it Ok as is? And if so, given that I'm not raising the FSB, how could I decrease the DRAM to 266?

Finally, I've set the CPU temp alarm to enabled. There were several settings available (60ºC, 70ºC, ..., 90ªC). I've picked 70ºC. Should I set it to 60º?

May 21, 2021

RAM

However the FSB to RAM ratio is still 2:3. CPU-Z shows 400 MHz for the DRAM, while ET6 shows 800 MHz. I assume it is 400MHz because 266/400 is where the 2/3 comes from.
Should I strive for an 1:1 ratio, or is it Ok as is? And if so, given that I'm not raising the FSB, how could I decrease the DRAM to 266?

Finally, I've set the CPU temp alarm to enabled. There were several settings available (60ºC, 70ºC, ..., 90ªC). I've picked 70ºC. Should I set it to 60º?
You are okay as is with the RAM, even today RAM is not at 1:1 ratio with FSB (known today as base clock) for example my 3800mhz ram is set at 57:3. As long as the memory controller is running at the same speed as your ram it’s all good. CPU-Z is showing your actual RAM internal clock speed which is 400mhz. ET6 is showing effective ram clock speed which takes into account that DDR ram is double data rate IE it uses the rise and fall of each clock cycle to send data instead of sending data once every clock cycle.

Solution
Nov 20, 2021
You are okay as is with the RAM, even today RAM is not at 1:1 ratio with FSB (known today as base clock) for example my 3800mhz ram is set at 57:3. As long as the memory controller is running at the same speed as your ram it’s all good. CPU-Z is showing your actual RAM internal clock speed which is 400mhz. ET6 is showing effective ram clock speed which takes into account that DDR ram is double data rate IE it uses the rise and fall of each clock cycle to send data instead of sending data once every clock cycle.

Yes I know about modern mobos.

But these old ones had the memory controller off the processor. There was this 1:1 myth back then that you needed to match FSB and DRAM, otherwise the memory controller would have to sync the data flow between them and that was for some reason suboptimal.