North American Computer Hardware Retailer NCIX Files For Bankruptcy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

What makes you say that? I remember finding amazon canada generally pretty terrible for finding PC parts. Although I don't think I've seriously looked on Amazon for parts since I first built my PC 2 years ago, so maybe they've improved.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
It's always a shame when a business goes down like this. I like in the US, so my experience with them is much different from someone from Canada. But, my experience has generally been that anything I was looking to get from them was cheaper at Newegg, pr Performance-PCs, or some other online retailer. It wasn't very competitive. I wish them luck, especially having to go through this during the holiday season.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
@DRosencraft I live in Canada. As you said, you can typically find for the same price or cheaper on Newegg or whatnot. And in my experience, any time they have a great deal that's cheaper than anywhere else, it'll be sold out, even though their 'live-update' inventory count lists it as in stock and they'll happily sell you back ordered items with no warning or indication. Their website was also terrible to use, especially after getting used to all the filter/search tools available on Newegg.

They had a couple sister/subsidiary companies that were even dodgier (e.g. DirectCanada).

Of the 5 or so orders I made with them I don't think there was one that didn't have some sort of issue, and frankly I'm not sad to see them go.

They rarely had better prices compared to Newegg or Amazon and when they did, they charged shipping that would make it more expensive.

I had no idea they had retail locations though. If they had competeed, it might have gone differently. I expect CDW to be next.

Cheaper shipping.

Former NCIX employee Linus Sebastian talked about it on his weekly stream a few days ago.

FatalRob

Honorable
Apr 5, 2015
I bought some computer fans from NCIX in Mississauga a few years back and that was my only purchase.i always compared online prices from them and other online retailers but I just didn’t shop their much.i prefer Canada computers for my shopping destination.as for Newegg,I mentioned in a prior article my experience with newegg and although they have decent prices on “select” items compared with other online retailers,but after careful research and months of comparing similar Products particularly CPUs they do indeed mark-up their prices quite considerably.several occasions their sale price was basically the actual retail price.sorry to hear about NCIX but I think Canada computers has become the go-to-store now!

zahoome

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Definitely sad to see them go. I loved NCIX back in the day. Lived a ferry ride away, so every order was next day delivery with their regular shipping. And with their rewards points, I pretty much always got free shipping.

Unfortunately, they've been heading in this direction for awhile. When NewEgg opened up their Canadian site, NCIX was often less competitive. They still had the best service and delivery times, though, and would price match. Over the years, their sales got less and less exciting. Shipping got slower. Sounds like their customer service faded away, as well, except for a few shining examples.

RIP NCIX, your glory days will be missed.

becauseracecarican

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
I've had some pretty bad experiences with NCIX and clearly so have others. I stopped using them and started using more marketplaces. However, I found a few sellers on Amazon sell cheaper direct, and started buying from Newegg, Amazon, Mikes and PC Part Picker. There is always someone to take their place, and I'm happy for NCIX to go, but sad the competition is leaving which is never good for prices.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
CDW will not die easily. Large companies still use them as a primary supplier and they basically don't change their prices to compete. If it costs $50 through CDW and $10 through Amazon, most companies will still buy from CDW so they can track the expense.

It is silly, but it has been that way for as long as I have worked in IT. Smaller companies are more flexible in that regard.

Cronusvx

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017
Considering some of the crap service I've gotten from NCIX, I'm very surprised they stayed in business this long.

Happy Lemming

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
I live within walking distance of a now-closed NCIX store, which was certainly convenient for the fifteen years I was a customer. Never paying for shipping was a big plus. Now what?

The website itself? Probably because nobody has gotten around to pulling the plug. Plus, it might be a bit more complicated due to order cancellations and refunds.

Heh that term surprised and amused me when I heard it. They're apparently not just dead, they're super-dead. No pining for the fjords here.

rmicro1

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
It's too bad. I loved using NCIX as they had a price match option at checkout so they had the best prices at the end. Always had my order within a few days.

Probably still running it to move remaining stock. Though they are in bankruptcy, they need to make what money they can to pay creditors. Once that is done, the company will sell off their equipment and anything else of value.

I only ever ordered from NCIX once when building a client a computer, they had the best price on the CPU and a free shipping promotion... Do that delayed delivery of the system almost 3 weeks. The shipping was insanely slow and despite them saying 5-8 business days, they did nothing but apologize for the delay. Was the first and last time I ordered from them.
I can order from Amazon with Prime 2-day shipping and Newegg standard shipping (If the item ships from City of Industry, I get it the next day).

doesitmatter

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I built my last two computers, along with another two for friends, entirely from NCIX orders. They price matched their Canadian competitors, which meant that I got the best prices available at the time all from a single order, allowing me to take advantage of combined shipping. This drastically reduced shipping costs and sometimes even eliminated them entirely when any of the ordered items included "free shipping for the entire order".

On Black Friday I began purchasing components for my new build, but haven't purchased a single item from NCIX. This is very telling to me, as I used to swear by purchasing from them.

I'll miss the old NCIX, but it's pretty clear that they're just not the company they once were. RIP.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
For me it was great when I first started building computers to have NCIX as a great comparison shopping tool. Personally the shipping rates killed off any savings they offered over other chains like Summit Direct (closed in St. Catharines about 10 years ago give or take) It's sad to see a major Canadian retailer gone but Canada Computers has really picked up that torch and has some stellar stores and their online shopping works well. You'll be remembered fondly NCIX.

marklindev

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
I have sold parts on Amazon through FBA and there are many customers that switch products or components out and then send them back nefariously through Amazon's A-Z return guarantee and then sticks it to the seller. I've stopped selling electronics all together through Amazon because of it. Even if you prove it with serial numbers, they don't care. Amazon is going to find out the hard way how difficult it is selling computer hardware soon enough because they'll be the only vendor left on their own site.

Status
Not open for further replies.