Question Northbridge heatsink for X570 chipset?

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
I'm thinking about buying an MSI X570 MPG Gaming Edge WIFI or Pro Carbon and I wonder if I could replace the chipset fan with a Zalman NB47J passive aluminium heatsink that I have left from an old motherboard? Would it be enough, or maybe if I let a silent 120mm fan blow at it? I will not be using the M.2 slots or any PCIe 4.0 harware.

qFHQfYM.jpg

Edit: There is also this EnzoTech copper heatsink that might be adapted to fit? http://www.enzotechnology.com/cnb_r1.htm

Last edited:

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Follow up: While the heatsinks I mentioned can be mounted on the X570 chipset (The mounting holes seems to be in the right places on boards like the Gigabyte Aorus Elite and maybe Pro) they would interfere with the graphics card. So they can't be used inless you have a CPU with integrated graphics chip (APU).

But maybe a chipset cooler like the Thermalright HR-05 SLI that uses heatpipes and the heatsink offset from the chipset can be used.

I don't need to remove the chipset fan, though. It was whiny on my Aorus Elite board in the beginning, but after I updated to the latest BIOS that included a better fan control curve, the fan is now silent. :)