NorthQ 3580 42C on standard clock

kerb

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Hello. I'll just get straight to the point.

I just bought a water cooling system from a friend of mine. And I'm not getting the cooling i had expected from it, the temperature in idle is about 42C, which is only about 2-3 degrees lesser than the cooling fan that came with the processor. I have the fan and radiator nearly sticking out of the cabinet (I have removed the sidedoor for better airflow), so I don't think it's an airflow problem. And I've put the thermal silicone on correctly (thin layer on the processor).

And the cooling system should work, the fan is spinning etc. Besides, my mate had a temperature of 18C when he had it in his system. So my question is, what am I doing wrong, what can I check for?

Oh yeah, the system specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz
North Q 3580 Water cooling system
2x2GB PC6400 Corsair Ram, 2x1GB HyperX ram
Xfx Geforce 9600GT 512MB

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I have a watercooling rig and have been helping peeps here for two years, maybe I can help.
Lets talk about a CPU temp (assuming idle temps) of 18C. I've never seen one idle that low unless it was on a chilled system. Chilled liquid or very cold air through the rad. So that's really suspect. Maybe you can give more info on why your mate said 18C. I could believe it if the air temp was in the single C digits. Kinda cold for a PC room though.

You might have stuck idle sensors on that chip, they just won't go any lower.
Please load it up with Orthos or OCCT and use Harware Monitor (HWMonitor) and come back with core temps after 15 min of running it.

Also, whats your Ambient room temp?

kerb

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Yeah, he had all the components laying on a table, and not inside a rig so that may be why he had such low temps. And yes I am referring to idle temps.

THe room-temp where i am now is about 20C or so. And when i start my system up in the morning, the temps are as low as 34C, and if i run Prime95 for some time (15 minutes or so) it goes to 48-50C. Isn't that a bit high for a water-cooling system? Since I got almost the same readings on the stock-cooler which then again was air-cooling. I've checked with two different temp programs; Coretemp and Realtemp, with about 2-3C difference between them.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Nope, 48-50 is just fine under load and your idle temps are okay too. Thats a small watercooling system, lots of us don't even consider that watercooling. The rad is just a 120x1.

I still can't believe 18C at idle. No way.

kerb

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Hmm, but I still can't believe that the water-cooling is as bad as the stock-cooler. I thought I would win 10-15C with it or so. Well, I guess overclocking is out of the option.

Even though i previously had a Golden Orb II air-cooler and ran the CPU at 3,6Ghz with the same full-load temps (50C) earlier :/

kerb

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Whoah, then I think I will return the shitty system and rather go for a air-cooling system :/ Thanks for the help, anyways! :)

hermith

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Friend who sold him the NorthQ here.

I did indeed run 17-20 degrees when components lying all over the table, and I did so for a long time. But when I fitted everything into a case it started reading 40+ degrees (due to bad airflow). So it can't really be the system reading the temp wrong, can it? And I've read up on reviews and comments, and many are reporting the same kind of temps.

My CPU is a Phenom II 720BE.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
A watercooling unit cannot give temps below ambient or even close to it, unless the processor is in some kind power saving mode and you can still use temp monitoring software. Don't know how you would when the PC is pretty much in sleep mode, screens are blank, and the mouse doesn't respond.

I can say if your room temps were in the single C you might get idle temps on the CPU like that.

If I had that chip, and a massive 120x3 rad, good CPU block, $80 pump I don't think I'd even see anything close to idle temps of 18C. I might see, maybe, just maybe 24C, maybe 26C with a room at 18C.

Post links to temps like that please, I'd love to be proved wrong, and I won't have to spend $400 to cool my CPU.