"Northwood" need help

plummy

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2005
Can someone help me out please?
I’m trying to find a cpu
Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz Socket 478 "Northwood" CPU. 512 KB L2 Cache. 400 MHz FSB
Had a chance on Ebay but lost out
Does anyone know where I can find one?
I’ve tried google but with no luck, there must be
Someone who knows of a site that sells one
Thanks for your time.

RichPLS

Champion
<A HREF="http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=Intel+Northwood&category0=" target="_new"> They are not in procution anymore... </A>

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
<A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Pentium-4-P4-CPU-Processor-2-8GHz-NORTHWOOD-2-8C_W0QQitemZ6813174958QQcategoryZ80143QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_new"> This one is a dollar... </A>

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Says used. Doesnt say it works...

<font color=red>"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"</font color=red>

"<font color=blue> Wusy</font color=blue> <-Professional sheep banger"

endyen

Splendid
While P4a chips are very scarce, P4b chips can still be had.
What mobo do you have? A lot of the P4a chipsets could handle an overclock to 133, without problems. In your boat, I would probably go that route, as a P4b @ 2.8 outperforms a P4a, @ the same speed.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 2.8 with 400 bus was a rare CPU to begin with, not originally part of Intel's line. I think it was added by customer request, possibly for PowerLeap. Any large purchaser can request a special CPU where the only changes are bus speed and multiplier, Dell had 1.10GHz PIII's with 100MHz bus specially made for them as well.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

tluxon

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2002
I've been in contact with the seller and he says it is a 800MHz FSB version. He says he replaced his motherboard and processor and 512Meg sticks of RAM with a AMD 3800+ X2 and 1Gig sticks of RAM. I don't know for sure if he OC'd the 2.8C excessively, but I wonder how much faster his new system really is.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The original poster was looking for a 400 bus version. Earlier these were called 2.8A, but unfortunately Intel used the same name for thier 533 bus Prescotts. So now A stands for both 400 bus Northwoods and 533 bus Prescotts.

Obviously the 2.8C would run at half its rated speed if limitted to a 400 bus.

The first time I'd heard of a 2.8A Northwood was in connection to the realease of a PowerLeap adapter. I believe Intel made a special, small batch of them, for PowerLeap and similar customers. If you could buy in volume, Intel would do that for you, taking a CPU that would have been a 2.8B (533 bus at 21x133.3) and making it a 2.8A (400 bus at 28x100) to fill your special order.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Magic Eight Ball says Yes.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Better to be on top of it than behind the eight ball...

RichPLS

Champion
and then others just sniff theirs!

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
I have a 3.2 northwood never OC'ed still warrantied (retail) but I'll only sell it with my whole system (see sig) :)

P4c 3.2Ghz NWood / ABIT AI7 / 1GB XMS-Pro DDR 3200 / BFG GF-6800GT 256mb / Antec 380W

A64 3000 Venice / Epox 9npa-U / 1GB HyperX DDR 3200 / XFX GF-6600GT 128mb / Antec 330W

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, it's good that you're only selling it with the system, as that processor would only run at 1.6GHz on a board that supports only 400 bus!

The Northwood - that would be the Intel system...

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!