Norton AntiVirus 2009 Gaming Edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyNameIsDan

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
I've had my fair share of experiences with Norton AVs and I'm sure you guys have had as well. However seeing recent "benchmarks" of Norton AV 2009 GE on its performance with games in comparison with other AVs kind of intrigued me. However I'm still skeptical about Norton AVs. Of course I've considered reading reviews on sites, but I honestly cannot seem to get myself to believe them too well.

Has anyone had their hands on with this? While the performance gain is quite marginal, I'm still quite intrigued by it.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
JMO but I have tried Norton and Mcafee and found both to cause the system to be so slow I couldnt take it.
Ive been using Avast for the past 4 or 5 years and never have problems.
I have put it on other peoples systems and they love the responsiveness.

MyNameIsDan

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
I'm using AVG Internet Security atm, with NOD32 on my sibling's system, both running great.
I was considering trying out Norton's GE because I game on my computer in my spare times... but yeah, its norton. lol.

SyncMastert2493

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I was extremely skeptical and have tried a few like NOD32/ESET, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Panda, AVG Pro. I have steered away from Norton because of the problems I had with it before.

I have recently tried the gaming edition and man it is great. Only concern is no firewall in it that I can discern. Also though might be unrelated my Office 203 Word stopped running.

UNICOMPLEX

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
It may gave you some benfits gaming related but it will still attract virus & Trojons ect,
friend told me at a software company that NORTON & Kaspersky are having a real hard time, he said it seems the geeks are now making virusus just to target those AVs on purpose, so you have to ask yourself why buy a AV that attracts bugs ?.
he said your better off going for something like the free AVG ect, because the virus makers believe in the free market and are less likely to attack that kind of software.

blotto5

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008

he must've meant that the viruses attack those antivirus programs spefically, not that it wont attack you unless you have that av program. viruses and malware in general attack indiscriminately and will attack you wether or not you have an av program.

Status
Not open for further replies.