Norton Antivirus as an OC test?

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I was wondering if Norton Antivirus can be used as an overclock test.

This is messed up: I have a 3800 X2 @ 2.5Ghz. It's 48+ hours rock-solid on Prime 95 and any other benchmark/program out there....except Norton Antivirus. For some ungodly reason, Norton (while doing a full-system scan) crashes EVERY single time after roughly 80,000 scanned files. It either freezes, or reboots. I did a full scan at stock speeds with no problem. Sooooo....

What's up with that?!?!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Use something other than Norton? :p

Seriously though, if every other benchie is fine then it's really unlikely to be your overclock as such.

You say 'any other benchmark/program', but what have you actually run? Just curious. Tried Memtest86? Might be worth giving it a go if not.

Norton Vs benchies: the only real distinction I can think of is that a full scan will thrash the hard disk more than most benchmarks. Perhaps there's something wrong there? You made sure that no other busses in the BIOS are overclocked?

Also, try Avast! Antivirus and AVG, just to see... Maybe norton's just being an Arse.

I guess there's an outside chance that you have some form of virus that's actually blocking Norton? Personally I don't think that's very likely though. Sounds more like SoD Speaking... :oops:

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Sounds more like SoD Speaking... :oops:

LOL, you are hillarious.....

I HATE norton, i would rather geta virus then run norton....ok maybe not.

i would say your OC has messed up the interface to your HDD
Defrag it, run Adawre, Spybot S&D, and SPyware Guard

Like Chippy said....memtest

What kinda RAM, mobo, HDD's, power supply?

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
ok, you ready for this one?

It was my RAM timings. At 250 FSB, my DDR timings were 2.5-3-3-6. As soon as I changed it to 2.5-4-3-6, all my Norton problems vanished. To test it, I switched between the two timings a few times and, like clockwork, it crashed every time in Norton on the lower timings but finished the scan (387,000 files) every time on the higher ones.

That said, I've used Prime 95, CPU Burn-in, Memtest86 3.1, and Burnin Test Pro. All rock- solid with the lower timings. Wierd. Never ran into a problem like that before.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
already forgotten. I lost about 700 points in Aquamark, but my 3ds max rendering times are unphased. I think I'll be fine :) Thanks guys!