Question Norwegian Blue Parrot

emjay.lee

Honorable
Apr 13, 2018
Not sure this is the right place, but here goes - warning long.

I had a working computer (yeah never mess with something that works)

Asus Prime X370 Pro
Ryzen 7 1700
8 GB (two sticks) Corsair 3200
630 Corsair PSU
MSI 710 graphic card (budget since I don't need anything else).

Bought a new cpu cooler (Be Quiet! if it matters) and two more RAM sticks, exactly the same as those already in the case. Suddenly it refused to shake hands with my monitor. Tried to turn the computer off and on, at first it booted but the monitor refused to acknowledge it. Tried both HDMI and VGA (should add that I tried another graphics card same problem). Then it refused to boot but the PSU was working since the mobo LED lit up. Then it died completely.

Fine, I must have burned something. So bought new components:

Ryzen 3700
MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Same case and GPU. Finished building it, and nada, dead as a Norwegian Blue .

Tried another PSU (corsair 370) on another, ancient, mobo and it worked. Tried the 630 PSU on the ancient mobo, it worked. Tried the 370 and 630 on the ryzen 1700 , it blinked briefly (when connected to the 370) and then died. Tried the 370 on the new mobo, nada. So the PSU seem to work.

What are the odds that I have both a new dead cpu and a dead mobo. I breadboxed the MSI X570 to see if it at least had power, but nope.

So, suggestions anyone, new GPU? Return everything? Am I a computer killer? Why did I ever think switching to amd was a good idea.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Did you ever remove that memory and put the old CPU cooler back on? Go back to first principles when troubleshooting.

Have you verified that the memory actually still works?

GPU would be something to check, and not too expensive to replace.

Depending on what you are doing, nothing wrong with AMD, just possible you've had a run of bad luck.

emjay.lee

Honorable
Apr 13, 2018
Did you ever remove that memory and put the old CPU cooler back on? Go back to first principles when troubleshooting.

Have you verified that the memory actually still works?

GPU would be something to check, and not too expensive to replace.

Depending on what you are doing, nothing wrong with AMD, just possible you've had a run of bad luck.

I removed the RAM and put in a single stick - hard to say if it was the old or new batch since they are identical.

I would have thought that even with a non-functioning GPU the mobo would still have lit up when I breadboxed it. Hmm, I didn't replace the old (1700) cooler, but could that really cause a completely dead breadboxed mobo?

Problem with the RAM is that only the new and the 1700 is DDR4, the ancient intel is DDR2

Oh and yeah, I did remove all but one stick when it refused to shake hands. It still worked at the time.