Question Not a single video game will launch on new pc

May 9, 2024
Please keep it to 1 thread.
Hi! I just upgraded my pc. I bought a new SSD 1tb, new am5 motherboard and Ryzen 7600 xt and new ram. Basically a new computer just keeping the chassi and power supply and old graphics card.

I installed a new version of windows 11 on the SSD. It booted perfectly with some screen flickering. But once running it went fine. Some windows like task manager froze and crashed and edge aswell. Otherwise the pc booted fast and other programs opened as indented.

But once launching games, trough steam or battle net they wont start. They wont even boot at all.

I tried reinstalling steam multiple times. Aswell as the games, and verifying the game files. I launched steam with administrator and even older compatability modes. Other launchers as battle net or epic games wont work aswell. Every driver is updated.

Even tried to reinstall windows 11 again to fix the problem, but it still did not work. Tried net framework repair tool and it did not fix the problem. I have watched several tutorials on this particular problem but none have worked. I am skill gapped, cant fix it. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Pc specs

Rx 590

Ryzen 7600

Ddr5 6000 mhz

500 w power supply

nvme 1 tb ssd

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Flickering, task manager crashing, Edge crashing. You got more problems than just games.

How old are the RX590 and the 500w power supply?
Motherboard model?

Have you updated BIOS? Installed drivers from the manufacturers website or drivers utility, or are they installed by Windows?

May 9, 2024
590 is roughly 4 years old. Psu is roughly 5 years old. Motherboard is Msi pro A620M-E.

Bios is not updated. But have installed drivers to cpu and gpu trough amds website.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
590 is roughly 4 years old. Psu is roughly 5 years old. Motherboard is Msi pro A620M-E.

Bios is not updated. But have installed drivers to cpu and gpu trough amds website.
Install all drivers MSi has for that motherboard: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-A620M-E/support#driver

If BIOS is out of date, update BIOS as well. Motherboards can sit on shelves for a long time. Facotry BIOS can be very old, or very recent. Better to check.

What's the model of the PSU? 5 years is a common warranty period for all but high quality PSUs.

May 9, 2024
Hi. Ive updated the bios and installed all the drivers. Checked and the Psu is older, about 6-7 Years. Model is Chieftec Force.

Still the exact same problem. Edge works completly fine and the pc boots well. No games run at all, from battle net, steam or even games from Itch.io that I have downloaded. Task manager often freezes, and there seems to be a problem to close games. They either black screen or dont open at all. When I close them nothing happens. Task manager can shut them down, as to say the black screen closes down. But it still says the program is running. Task manager then freezes and has to close down.

On steam ex cetera every game is stuck on launching, but no game is launching at all. Task manager dont find them either.

Solitaire works fine if its any help. Spotify aswell, and pther games from microsoft store like candy crush.

May 9, 2024
Sorry this is a repost but I direly want my pc to work.

I just upgraded my pc. I bought a new SSD 1tb, new am5 motherboard and Ryzen 7600 xt and new ram. Basically a new computer just keeping the chassi and power supply and old graphics card.

I installed a new version of windows 11 on the SSD. It booted perfectly with some screen flickering. But once running it went fine. Some windows like task manager froze and crashed and edge aswell. Otherwise the pc booted fast and other programs opened as indented.

But once launching games, trough steam or battle net they wont start. They wont even boot at all.

I tried reinstalling steam multiple times. Aswell as the games, and verifying the game files. I launched steam with administrator and even older compatability modes. Other launchers as battle net or epic games wont work aswell. Every driver is updated.

Even tried to reinstall windows 11 again to fix the problem, but it still did not work. Tried net framework repair tool and it did not fix the problem. I have watched several tutorials on this particular problem but none have worked. I am skill gapped, cant fix it. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Pc specs

Rx 590 ( 4 years old )

Ryzen 7600

Ddr5 6000 mhz

500 w power supply. ( Chieftec Force 7 years old )

nvme 1 tb ssd

Ive updated the bios and installed all the drivers.

Still the exact same problem. Edge works completly fine and the pc boots well. No games run at all, from battle net, steam or even games from Itch.io that I have downloaded. Task manager often freezes, and there seems to be a problem to close games. They either black screen or dont open at all. When I close them nothing happens. Task manager can shut them down, as to say the black screen closes down. But it still says the program is running. Task manager then freezes and has to close down.

On steam ex cetera every game is stuck on launching, but no game is launching at all. Task manager dont find them either.

Solitaire works fine if its any help. Spotify aswell, and pther games from microsoft store like candy crush.

g-unit1111

Titan
Hi. Ive updated the bios and installed all the drivers. Checked and the Psu is older, about 6-7 Years. Model is Chieftec Force.

Replace that thing ASAP, that's most likely your problem there.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Anyone have any ideas?

The power supply needs to be upgraded for sure. It's peculiar that no Steam game can run though.

Are you buying in the US or Europe? PSUs are much more expensive in Europe.
What store will you buy from?

You should look at a:

SeaSonic G12 GC 550w ~70 euro
SeaSonic G12 GM 650w ~85 euro
Corsair RM650 ~85 euro
SeaSonic Focus GX-750 ATX 3.0 ~130 euro

As you can imagine, the Focus is by far the highest quality PSU of those. G12 is dependable and has 5y warranty so it's a good choice if you're unable to spend more.

g-unit1111

Titan
Anyone have any ideas?

The power supply needs to be upgraded for sure. It's peculiar that no Steam game can run though.
Because the GPU isn't getting adequate power. Even a lower end GPU like the 7600 still needs a solid stream of power from a reliable source if you're going to do anything beyond running it on idle. A 6 year old Chieftec PSU is a very low end PSU. You need something with a solid build quality to it in order for it to function properly. A low end PSU will cause shut downs every single time - and that's if you can get your system to successfully power on.

Reactions: slightnitpick

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Because the GPU isn't getting adequate power. Even a lower end GPU like the 7600 still needs a solid stream of power from a reliable source if you're going to do anything beyond running it on idle. A 6 year old Chieftec PSU is a very low end PSU. You need something with a solid build quality to it in order for it to function properly. A low end PSU will cause shut downs every single time - and that's if you can get your system to successfully power on.
Yes, i suspected it because Task manager of all things crashed.

But Candy Crush works, and literally any Steam game does not. So the only thing that comes to mind is Steam client is doing some sanity check before running the game and obviously failing.

Also a brand new Chieftec is also a very low end PSU.

g-unit1111

Titan
Yes, i suspected it because Task manager of all things crashed.

But Candy Crush works, and literally any Steam game does not. So the only thing that comes to mind is Steam client is doing some sanity check before running the game and obviously failing.

Also a brand new Chieftec is also a very low end PSU.

Because Candy Crush doesn't require any GPU usage. It's a game that can run on a smart phone. Any game that requires any use of the GPU, if the GPU doesn't receive proper power, will fail. Every single time.

G12 is dependable and has 5y warranty so it's a good choice
5 years is the basic standard for a lot of power supplies and does not imply that it is a reliable unit.

being that Seasonic is known for using higher quality materials may mean that this unit is somewhat better than others in that same price/warranty range.

but, anything under 7 years is still considered on the lower end since their manufacturer doesn't put anymore faith than that period into their construction.

especially for a gaming or other intensive use system, a 10 year warranty should be the goal.
saving up a bit more money if necessary is definitely worth the difference in reliability.

Last edited:
Reactions: g-unit1111

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
5 years is the basic standard for a lot of power supplies and does not imply that it is a reliable unit.

being that Seasonic is known for using higher quality materials may mean that this unit is somewhat better than others in that same price/warranty range.

but, anything under 7 years is still considered on the lower end since their manufacturer doesn't put anymore faith than that period into their construction.

especially for a gaming or other intensive use system, a 10 year warranty should be the goal.
saving up a bit more money if necessary is definitely worth the difference in reliability.
I agree with all of the above but people still use these bad PSUs. A 5y warranty PSU is miles ahead of a 2 or 3 year model. The G12 is reliable. It wont start a fire or explode and take the system with it. That is the bar we should clear.

For pretty much every system that means something to it's user, a 10y warranty PSU should be the goal.
But i don't think that's the case here. First reason is the budget nature of the upgrade and the components. Second reason is that the OP chose to not even upgrade the PSU. Also it should be taken into account that in Europe today, PSUs are damn near twice as expensive as in the US.
The SeaSonic GX-750 is a fine unit and only costs some $70-80. It's closer to 150 euro on the other side of the pond.

Good PSUs are unattractive and seen as a luxury like 4080s and 4090s, instead of being an indispensible part of the system. No one in their right mind would buy worn and torn CPU, yet people buy horrible molotov cocktails disguised as PSUs.
They're priced cheap and seem ok, and so it goes.

I know the G12 isn't decent enough, but it's decent enough. If that makes sense. Compared to Kolinks, Chieftecs and other abominations, it's champagne.

Reactions: g-unit1111

g-unit1111

Titan
As we stated in your other thread, the reason being is that your GPU needs a steady stream of power to be able to operate. That PSU is not providing enough power. It needs to be replaced immediately with something that is much stronger.

Your PC won't work properly until you buy a new PSU. That is the main cause of your issues. A new GPU won't receive the power it needs from a 5 year old, Z grade PSU.