Not a valid Win32 application error

death90055

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
Whenever I try to open a certain game (RuneScape), I get this error :
ML1aXNH.png

Ran AdwCleaner, Virus scanned, restarted, system restored to yesterday, nothing has worked. Also tried re-installing the game. [

Solution
It probably won't appear in the Control Panel>Programmes and Features so can't be uninstalled from there. It may also not even show in Programme Files or Programme Data but they are in your Application Data folders - your own and AllUsers.

Press the Windows key and R together and type in regedit then press Enter. From the File menu, select Export then note the name and location of the backup you're creating in case anything goes wrong. Then navigate to H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software and scroll through the list deleting the junk entries. Look at the Microsoft entry and find Shared Tools. Under msconfig, delete anything that starts automatically when the machine is powered up that you don't need to start. Do the same in...

death90055

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
Upon un-installing and re-installing, it was temporarily fixed.. This error now occurs when trying to open the game. :
kGO73rH.png

I'm sure if I restart the same error code from above will display. (Restarted and it did.)

I deleted the last stupid post and warned the poster about behaviour around these parts.

If you press Control Shift and Escape together, you bring up the Task Manager and that can tell you what programmes or Processes are running which may be causing the problem. It's a matter of trawling through the list under the Processes tab insearch of a suspect but under the Image Name column, it may display the filename in your error message..

death90055

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014

iNiuDpB.png

d7IDyC3.png

BLBOfVE.png

Everything in my task manager. Nothing displays that should affect my RuneScape client.

It would help if you could stretch that error message you posted to include the filename extension. I now suspect that it's a .dll and that won't show in Task manager. If we can find that file, we might be able to find out which other programme shares it.

death90055

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014

pthhfaB.png

death90055

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014

There's a program called "Luminosity.exe" when i remove it i don't have privellage. (In the task manager) any way i can remove it? I believe it's a RAT. I can't factory reset without a windows disk that I don't have. Pleaseee

It probably won't appear in the Control Panel>Programmes and Features so can't be uninstalled from there. It may also not even show in Programme Files or Programme Data but they are in your Application Data folders - your own and AllUsers.

Press the Windows key and R together and type in regedit then press Enter. From the File menu, select Export then note the name and location of the backup you're creating in case anything goes wrong. Then navigate to H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software and scroll through the list deleting the junk entries. Look at the Microsoft entry and find Shared Tools. Under msconfig, delete anything that starts automatically when the machine is powered up that you don't need to start. Do the same in Windows\Current Version\Run.

Collapse the hive then go into H_KEY_CURRENT_USER and repeat the process. When you finish, leave the Registry from the File>Exit menu and restart the computer - twice.

Then you need to clean out the Application data folder under C:\Users\{yourname} and remove the folders that correspond with the threats you found in the Registry and want to remove, along with any others. Pay particular attention to the Temp folder, deleting as much as it allows you to; the remainder is necessary for Microsoft's purposes.

I hope you find it and kill it off. A shortcut to some of the above will be to findit again in Task manager, right click it and click on "Go to file location" or similar.

Solution