[SOLVED] Not able to boot with 2 ram sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2021
Hello everyone. This is a continuation of this thread. TL;DR - for the past 3 months I’ve been having problems with my PC (crashes, freezes, bsods, not being able to boot with 2 ram sticks). Since MemTest86 was the only thing to show some errors I decided to buy a new kit. I bought Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600, installed both sticks, and the pc refused to boot at all (used to do it with the old one). I took the PC to a diagnostics center and a day after they said, the problem was the motherboard. So I bought a new one! (Asus Z590-A Prime). Installed it, plugged everything in, same problem. As a last try I decided to try a new CPU, got myself an Intel Core i3 10100F, installed it - nothing has changed. So after all these changes and replacements of the components (I almost built a new pc) the issue remains. GPU is completely fine, I tested it on my friend’s computer. What should I do? I will leave my previous/new specs below

Intel Core i5 10600k (Intel Core i3 10100F)
Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X (Asus Prime Z590-A)
HyperX Fury 2666 - Crucial Ballistix 3600
Gigabyte RTX 2070
SuperFlower LeadEx 650W silver

Last edited:
Hello everyone. This is a continuation of this thread. TL;DR - for the past 3 months I’ve being having problems with my PC (crashes, freezes, bsods, not being able to boot with 2 ram sticks). Since MemTest86 was the only thing to show some errors I decided to buy a new kit. I bought Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600, installed both sticks, and the pc refused to boot at all (used to do it with the old one). I took the PC to a diagnostics center and a day after they said, the problem was the motherboard. So I bought a new one! (Asus Z590-A Prime). Installed it, plugged everything in, same problem. As a last try I decided to try a new CPU, got myself an Intel Core i3 10100F, installed it - nothing has changed. So after all these changes and replacements of the components (I almost built a new pc) the issue remains. GPU is completely fine, I tested it on my friend’s computer. What should I do? I will leave my previous/new specs below

Intel Core i5 10600k (Intel Core i3 10100F)
Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X (Asus Prime Z590-A)
HyperX Fury 2666 - Crucial Ballistix 3600
Gigabyte RTX 2070
SuperFlower LeadEx 650W silver
Did you tried cpu and ram get working in 2 sticks with your friends motherboard? if both cpu could run dual channel and your ram kits could do dual channel in your friends motherboard, it could be a compability issues. try to update the bios to the latest first and test if your ram would work. make sure it's running on slot 2 and 4.

Oct 15, 2021
Did you tried cpu and ram get working in 2 sticks with your friends motherboard? if both cpu could run dual channel and your ram kits could do dual channel in your friends motherboard, it could be a compability issues. try to update the bios to the latest first and test if your ram would work. make sure it's running on slot 2 and 4.

I haven’t tried it on my friend’s MoBo cuz none of my friends have LGA 1200 boards. However I literally got myself a new MoBo thinking the previous one was the issue. How come is there a compatibility issue with 2 different MoBos, 2 different kits of RAM and 2 different CPUs? The BIOS on both boards is updated to the latest version.

There are a couple possibilities. Let me list them:
  • Diagnostic center was correct, original mobo was dead, nothing else. In this scenario most likely case would be that your new motherboard was DOA. At this point obviously no matter how many hardware changes you made afterwards it was not going to work. OR, some other component accidentally failed when you were trying to set up new mobo - and it have to be PSU (see next point).
  • Diagnostic center was correct, but not so much. I mean they might have missed the fact that something else was also not working properly (this can happen easier than you think). And considering your further moves that something else would have to be the PSU as the only part you have not tested. (Stay with me, don't rush to buy new one yet). Now this is where it gets complicated. As you probably know faulty PSU can damage other components (and I'm fully aware we talking SuperFlower here). So in this scenario you have to assume that some of the new part you bought might already be damaged, and just buying new PSU could achieve nothing.
My advice at this point would be another visit to diagnostic center. Your PC might be so messed up at this point that swapping single components will get you nowhere. The only way I see is to check each and every one of the parts in a known-to-work system and you don't have it (and they surely do). Plus they owe you after their first diagnosis kinda failed. Or if you don't trust them anymore, find another center. Trying on your own is likely give you just a headache.

Oct 15, 2021
There are a couple possibilities. Let me list them:
  • Diagnostic center was correct, original mobo was dead, nothing else. In this scenario most likely case would be that your new motherboard was DOA. At this point obviously no matter how many hardware changes you made afterwards it was not going to work. OR, some other component accidentally failed when you were trying to set up new mobo - and it have to be PSU (see next point).
  • Diagnostic center was correct, but not so much. I mean they might have missed the fact that something else was also not working properly (this can happen easier than you think). And considering your further moves that something else would have to be the PSU as the only part you have not tested. (Stay with me, don't rush to buy new one yet). Now this is where it gets complicated. As you probably know faulty PSU can damage other components (and I'm fully aware we talking SuperFlower here). So in this scenario you have to assume that some of the new part you bought might already be damaged, and just buying new PSU could achieve nothing.
My advice at this point would be another visit to diagnostic center. Your PC might be so messed up at this point that swapping single components will get you nowhere. The only way I see is to check each and every one of the parts in a known-to-work system and you don't have it (and they surely do). Plus they owe you after their first diagnosis kinda failed. Or if you don't trust them anymore, find another center. Trying on your own is likely give you just a headache.

Thank you for such a detailed answer. I will try replacing my current PSU with my brother’s one and see if it makes any difference. If it doesn’t help, I will contact the center again, because I won’t have any options left. You just can’t imagine how much it hurts to have all the brand new components which are not working at all.

Oct 15, 2021
So after having sexual interactions with my PC for a couple months, the issue is finally gone. The problem was with the old motherboard and getting a new one seems to have fixed the problem (at least for now).

If you are in the same situation as I was, my personal advice would be to take the PC to a diagnostics center, unless you are a computer enthusiast willing to spend ridiculous amount of time searching for the problem. If second option is the case, then start by checking your RAM (preferably plug it into a PC which you know for 100% works fine), then check your motherboard (same method), and as a last option check CPU and its memory controller by installing it into a different motherboard.

Long story short: if anything happens, make sure you swap and exclude all components one by one before getting new ones or panicking, don’t make my mistakes. Hopefully those 2 threads that I made here will save someone’s time.

Status
Not open for further replies.