Question Not able to drag url shortcuts into phones folders through Windows 10 File Explorer and a USB-C

oddjobs2do

Commendable
Sep 29, 2020
When I try to drag an internet shortcut that is in a Windows 10 desktop folder to my Samsung S20+ Cell Phone, the desktop makes a dinging alert sound and the links do not paste (this also happened on another phone s9+ but was not an issue with Windows 7(. I do not know what the ding is since there is no notification (a notification would be nice and may give me a clue) In Control Panel the sound is a "Critical Stop" sound. If I drag url's (web page shortcuts drug from chrome into a file folder on the desktop) and other files, the desktop pastes everything into the phones folder until it reaches the first url being pasted, then it stops pasting everything else. There is no error and you may think it pasted the rest of the files after the 1st url but where you open up the folder on the phone a bunch of stuff is missing. If there are no url's it drags and drops everything fine. I cant figure out what the dinging is, there are no notifications and I've tried to watch task manager.

All google searches I can find talk about dragging from the Chrome browser into the desktop or moving bookmarks etc. within the App, but none talk about copy and paste or drag and drop onto a cell phone.

Note: I am connected via USB C between the computer and phone. I am dragging from the computer to the Micro SD card and folders within that on the cell phone. The files I want to drag and drop or copy paste are on the desktop in a folder. Same thing happens when I try to do this onto the internal memory of the phone vs. the Micro SD card.

Can anyone tell me:
1. What the dinging means (it appears to mean you can't do this, but if I could see the alert it would help me understand the exact problem and solve it).

2. Why can't you copy and paste url's onto a phone through the USB-C and how do you resolve the problem

3. If the USB C is a hard wire to the phone and thus SD card, why doesn't this work but I can remove and insert the Micro SD Card into my desktop slot and I can drag & drop everything including the url's?

Thanks

URL shortcuts are files (from Windows point of view), so you xan copy whatever you want directly to SD cards. WHen you copy over USB connection, the copy process converts the files to something the phone understands, and URL format on Windows is not compatible with phones, so Windows tries to warn you.

oddjobs2do

Commendable
Sep 29, 2020
It is interesting that something changed from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Windows 7 would drag into the folder on the phone and drop url's with no problem via the USB connection. IOt does not make sense to me that Windows 10 does not allow this but 7 did.

You mentioned Windows tries to warn you. It more than warns, it does not past them. The SD card is Fat32 and if it works in a slot on the desktop, it is just in a slot on the phone. The URLS I paste by removing the SD card and putting it in the desktop open on the phone in chrome when I click the URL link and it shows the same chrome icon. So it must be compatible.

There seems to be something missing to this. A security provision maybe for links as unsafe that needs allowed either in windows or the phone??? maybe something along those lines.