Not able to establish a stable wireless connection between my new router and new USB adapter

anon7mous

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Hello everyone,

I will try to explain my problem as best as I can. I'm connected to internet via USB adapter on my PC. A few days ago I received a new router from Telecom Speedport Smart (and a new contract for - 100 Mbps) and before that I upgraded my 10 years old Belkin USB adapter f6d4050 v1 to a new Edimax AC 1750 adapter so I can handle the new speeds. At first my connection was normal and then after an hour or two of using the internet my connection would just become so slow I couldn't open a single web site. I had to reset my router and PC to make it work again but this fix never lasted. The problem repeated itself every day. My PC shows that I am normally connected and all the lamps on the router seem fine. I don't get any errors.
The wireless connection on other devices works perfectly, I even tried connecting my PC to my router with a cable and it worked just fine. I also tried resetting all network settings and reinstalling the drivers but that didn't work.
I also have to point out that my Edimax USB adapter worked just fine with the old router Fritz!Box 7312 (16 Mbps speed contract).
At the moment I'm testing how my new router works with my old Belkin USB adapter that only handles 50 Mbps but everything seems good so far...

I assume the problem lies with my new adapter or some settings but I'm not able to diagnose the the problem.
If you need any other information I will be happy to provide it. Any suggestions how to fix this problem are appreciated!

My system:

New router - Telekom Speedport Smart 4029491802/J9
Old Router - FRITZ!Box 7312
Most of the time there is one laptop (Asus K555), and 2 cell phones (Galaxy S7) connected to my router but I didn't notice a difference having those devices connected or not connected
New USB Adapter - Edimax AC 1750 Dual-Band
Old USB Adapter - Belkin f6d4050 v1

OS - Windows 10 Pro, Version: 10.0.16299 Build 16299
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-UD3P

Thank you

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
That is a tuffy for sure.... This could be anything but I believe it is hardware related...possibly driver related, but seriously this is a difficult troubleshooting activity (though possible). Trying to find the weak link in a chain is not easy. Is this a cellular type wireless connectivity device? If it is I would start by checking out the signal strength in differen't locations. Not easy I know. Too, cellular has it's inherent problems such as how many people connected to the same tower and what they are doing with the bandwidth, how the company regulates the bandwidth, etc.

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

Rather than reset everything, I would start by resetting one device at a time. I would suggest first reset the wireless modem device only. Disconnect the wireless from your laptop and then reconnect it. There is no easy answer with cellular.

anon7mous

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
It's a bit hard for me to test the signal strength in different locations because I'm using a PC and living in an apartment. I would say that the router is fine because other devices work fine and none of them have problems with the signal. Even my PC can connect to internet if I use my old Belkin adapter. My new USB adapter that I mentioned, Edimax AC 1750, has also worked fine with the old router.

I assume the problem lies somewhere between USB adapter Edimax AC 1750 and Speedport Smart but I just can't get to the bottom of this...

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
If your information is not flawed I would agree with you. But your logic is good. I live in the USA. However, at work we use similar wireless devices for testing in certain situations. I find that occasionally it needs to be reset as well. I think you are on to something when your old device worked fine but the new one does not. I would not overlook the USB on your laptop either. Power saving features on laptops can sometimes interfere also. I just tossing ideas out as "food for thought". Is this a new laptop?

anon7mous

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I have to say that til now I haven't found a solution to my problem. Telecom keeps telling me that everything seems good on their end and almost every day I get low speeds that I'm not able to open a simple website. I've noticed on my laptop that my speed sometimes drops under 20 mbps...

Can it be that something is interfering with my network?