Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Hi Guys i have this desktop
Dual core 2.5 Ghz, overclocked to 3 GHZ
2gb ram
7600gt graphic card ( don laugh :p)
80 gb hard disk
Gigabyte G31M-ES2L MotherBoard
Now issue is that i have installed driver for integrated G31 express Chipset, but now i am not able to install my graphic card. The moment i connect it to to my PCI-E slot (after shutting computer down) i do not get display, i know that windows is loading and all that by its sound but not able to get display on graphic port or vga port of mother board.
I am unable to uninstall this G31 driver from add/remove program.
Tell me how should i get my card get going.
Generally i am able to solve most of the problem but i would like to know if someone has the sam issue.
Thanks
Rahul Dev

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
First thing I would try is to unplug the system, install the graphics card, and then clear the CMOS. If it comes up after this, go into BIOS immediately and set to Optimized Defaults. Set any BIOS settings telling it to look at the add-on card before the integrated graphics - or leave on Auto.

Reboot and install Windows drivers.

devrahul

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009

OK doing the same.
Btw what do you mean by Install windows driver ? i mean which driver you referring to ?
And thanks for looking in to this.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Once windows loads, it will automatically detect the new graphics card. It may install the driver for that automatically and correctly. Regardless, after it completes, run the CD or drivers that came with the card.

devrahul

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Crap .....same thing after doing this.
I have tried 2 cards, 7600GT and ati 4650,
In case of nvidia i get completely black screen and in case of ati i get little Dark bluish screen.
In both case i see windows has booted to desktop.
Just not able to see desktop after all this.
Anymore suggestion ?
Thanks

devrahul

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
I think reason behind this is intel graphic media accelerator, which i am unable to uninstall.
It comes back after every boot up.
Looking fro more suggestions.
Thanks

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
go into your device manager and click "disable drivers" on the MB graphics...and you are plugging your monitor into the graphics cards and not the MB, correct?

devrahul

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009

yes tried this and it is not working, and yes i am using graphic card vga port.
Anymore suggestion please.
Thanks

Yes, this is what you should do. Also if you have a motherboard manual, you should check for any other settings that may need to be changed to disable the onboard graphics.
If you are still worried about the drivers, you could enter safe mode to delete, however I wouldn't recommend this as your chipset or northbridge may need some of those drivers.

devrahul

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009

Yes i say shamefully i am an desktop support engineer here :p
So i did clear cmos properly

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
So, the monitor does display properly before Windows starts to load?

Do the Safe Mode - press F8 repeatedly as POST ends and before Windows begins. If the display works in Safe Mode and you can't get it working despite anything you do, then back up the data in Safe Mode and re-install Windows from scratch.

devrahul

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Set The bios to PEG, the issues is that i hear all the sounds of windows booting, i even see microsoft logo running with ati 4650 card ( no display with 7600 gt though)
Even in Safe mode if i uninstall intel media graphic accelerator it comes back the moment i boot it to normally.
Still going to try few more settings.
I really do not want to format windows as that i take as a complete defeat :_(
So more solutions will be appreciated.
Thanks

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
devrahul... Do not uninstall the intel media graphic accelerator. Choose in Control Panel/System to disable it. This will prevent it from re-installing automatically.

devrahul

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Providing more info,
Consider this
That i do not have installed my graphic card's driver.
Now i conect my graphic card in PCI-E slot and then connect to my graphic card's VGA port and boot windows i get display. Now i install driver of graphic card and after instalation when it asks for reboot........there is where problem comes, windows boot but no display.
Please do not want to format windows any help to find the casue of this issue will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Since you posted when I did, wanted to make sure you got this.

devrahul... Do not uninstall the intel media graphic accelerator. Choose in Control Panel/System to disable it. This will prevent it from re-installing automatically.

devrahul

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009

Yes did this, disabled it from device manager.
The problem always come at reboot
Consider this ( IMGA disabled)
Now i insert my card, install driver, it asked for reboot, if i do not reboot and just enable disable this new ati driver from display adapter everything works fine, ie playing game and all that with good 60 fps.
BUT the moment i restart ( as i have to ) screen goes blank.......
I seriously do not want to format window but honestly tell me what am i missing
Thanks

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
And when you reboot, the IMGA is still disabled?

Look in Add/Remove Software for the anything related to the IMGA. Remove it. Locate the folder it installed into and delete it.

Also look in Startup and in Registry for "Run" on boot programs related to it.

I agree with you that somehow, the IMGA is causing this.

devrahul

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009

Yes IMGA is disabled even after reboot.
Now interesting thing is that when i install the graphic card and its driver and then go in to device manager and enable disable this ati driver i am able to play game ( all this without reboot) but the moment i reboot there is no display though windows boot fine. Just no display.
I have disabled all in startup tab via msconfig.
Please let me know if something strikes you :-(
Thanks

Hmm...might be something to do with the default resolution the driver is attemtping to display? Doubtful, but a possibility...

...Question: Did you try using all the output ports on the GPU (if it has more then one?)

devrahul

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009

Display available at VGA only( when cards drivers are not installed ) not at dvi port.
btw if something is out of resolution then i get CRT message of out of requency. But this is not the case here

I am still working on it so guys if possible then more suggestions please/

devrahul

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Able to boot in safe mode, with Graphic cards driver installed. But not able to play game in safe mode :-D
Man it is driving me nuts :-S