[SOLVED] Not able to install Windows 10 from Bootable USB

Apr 23, 2020
I have build my first pc. I have managed to get it running with the CPU cooler and case fan running, as well managed to access the UEFI settings. As for install ing Windows 10 OS, I followed the instructions given by Quincy Larson from freecodecamp.org in this article https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/h...build-a-bootable-iso-from-your-macs-terminal/ , since I am a currently a MAC user. The installation of the Windows 10 files was successful on my USB drive.

However during Windows 10 installation on newly build PC, when I get to choosing which drive to install the OS (between HDD and SSD), and try to proceed to install, I get an error code of "0xc0000005". I have installed using the above method twice on 2 different USB, still not able to get past this issue. Also, I tried to use Windows Media Creation tool from PC, installed it on another USB drive, also unsuccessful .

Hardware t/s steps taken, still unsuccessful

1. Removed M.2 SSD and leave HDD only
  2. Swapped the RAM sticks, changed the RAM location from A2/B2 to A1/B1 and back
  3. Disconnected the USB keyboard and used only Mouse USB

Checking on UEFI settings:

1. Boot order was correct with UEFI Partition 1 and UEFI Partition 2 in boot priority

The PC build specs are:

ASRock B450M Pro 4
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
HyperX Fury 4 GB x 2 (HX426C16FB3/4) 2600Mhz
Cooler Master PSU MWE Bronze 600
TP Link Ethernet Card
MSI GEForce GT 1030 GPU
WD Green 240 M.2 SSD
Seagate 1TB HDD

From ASRock Memory support page, it shows that for a 4GB RAM, it does not support 2666 speed. It limits at 2400. Could this be the issue, or could the RAM be physically damaged? Help!

Solution
I have done the above, nil joy. New error message appears.

"Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation". Error popped out almost immediately after selecting SSD to install the OS.

1. Reseated the M.2
  2. Disconnected the HDD
  3. Reset the BIOS/Load UEFI defaults
  4. Boot back into bios
  5. Boot back from USB
FYI, there are 4 boot orders.

1. UEFI Sandisk Partition 1
  2. UEFI Sandisk Partition 2
  3. AHCI WD SSD
  4. USB Sandisk
I have changed the order with the following order, nil joy:

3. USB Sandisk
  4. AHCI WD SSD
I have also placed the USB Sandisk as boot priority, but...
I have build my first pc. I have managed to get it running with the CPU cooler and case fan running, as well managed to access the UEFI settings. As for install ing Windows 10 OS, I followed the instructions given by Quincy Larson from freecodecamp.org in this article https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/h...build-a-bootable-iso-from-your-macs-terminal/ , since I am a currently a MAC user. The installation of the Windows 10 files was successful on my USB drive.

However during Windows 10 installation on newly build PC, when I get to choosing which drive to install the OS (between HDD and SSD), and try to proceed to install, I get an error code of "0xc0000005". I have installed using the above method twice on 2 different USB, still not able to get past this issue. Also, I tried to use Windows Media Creation tool from PC, installed it on another USB drive, also unsuccessful .

Hardware t/s steps taken, still unsuccessful

1. Removed M.2 SSD and leave HDD only
  2. Swapped the RAM sticks, changed the RAM location from A2/B2 to A1/B1 and back
  3. Disconnected the USB keyboard and used only Mouse USB
Checking on UEFI settings:

1. Boot order was correct with UEFI Partition 1 and UEFI Partition 2 in boot priority

The PC build specs are:

ASRock B450M Pro 4
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
HyperX Fury 4 GB x 2 (HX426C16FB3/4) 2600Mhz
Cooler Master PSU MWE Bronze 600
TP Link Ethernet Card
MSI GEForce GT 1030 GPU
WD Green 240 M.2 SSD
Seagate 1TB HDD

From ASRock Memory support page, it shows that for a 4GB RAM, it does not support 2666 speed. It limits at 2400. Could this be the issue, or could the RAM be physically damaged? Help!
Reseat m.2 card in mobo, remove hdd and then reset bios to default settings. After resetting bios to defaulf settings boot back into bios. Once back in bios boot from usb after you booting from usb try again if this dosn't work reply.

Apr 23, 2020
are the ram sticks you bought showing on the memory list for your CPU - https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Pro4/#MemoryPR

As that can be a limitation too.

wonder if the ISO you used to make the 2 installers is the problem, could dl it again.

What stage of install does it give error? right away or when you at a certain stage?

The module that I have is HX426C16FB3/4, not listed in ASRock memory list. I am guessing that ASRock does not regularly update their memory list, so maybe it is outdated (hopefully)

I have downloaded the ISO files on 2 different MBP, and more than once on each MBP. I have erased the content on the USB multiple times to have fresh files installed, and formatted it to FAT32 using the article mentioned previously as a guide. Could it be my USB drives are faulty? These USB drives are not new.

The error is showing almost immediately after clicking next to choose between which drive to have the OS installed. I have also deleted the partitions to leave only Unallocated space, essentially the HDD and SSD only. Clicked next, and the error message shows up.

Apr 23, 2020
Reseat m.2 card in mobo, remove hdd and then reset bios to default settings. After resetting bios to defaulf settings boot back into bios. Once back in bios boot from usb after you booting from usb try again if this dosn't work reply.

"Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation". Error popped out almost immediately after selecting SSD to install the OS.

1. Reseated the M.2
  2. Disconnected the HDD
  4. Boot back into bios
  5. Boot back from USB

3. AHCI WD SSD
  4. USB Sandisk

3. USB Sandisk
  4. AHCI WD SSD

I have also placed the USB Sandisk as boot priority, but error.

"Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key".

Removed the USB and stick back in, nil joy.

1. Reseated the M.2
  2. Disconnected the HDD
  4. Boot back into bios
  5. Boot back from USB

3. AHCI WD SSD
  4. USB Sandisk

3. USB Sandisk
  4. AHCI WD SSD
I have also placed the USB Sandisk as boot priority, but error.

"Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key".

Removed the USB and stick back in, nil joy.
Do not set the bios to anythimg leave the bios to default settings. Dont set uefi defaults load out pr anythimg leave the bios as is. When isntalling windows the windows installer should auto tune the bios to what it needs for booting. You pre setting tells the mobo to lock there not to let any installs adjust it or anything. Restore bios to defualt settimgs boot from usb amd try just a plain bios install

Reactions: nikeblaze
Solution
Apr 23, 2020
Do not set the bios to anythimg leave the bios to default settings. Dont set uefi defaults load out pr anythimg leave the bios as is. When isntalling windows the windows installer should auto tune the bios to what it needs for booting. You pre setting tells the mobo to lock there not to let any installs adjust it or anything. Restore bios to defualt settimgs boot from usb amd try just a plain bios install
Hi, White.a.drew, I don't have legacy BIOS. On this mobo, it has UEFI firmware.

I have searched high and low on the UEFI settings, the only selection to restore to default settings is the "Load UEFI defaults" selection as per the manual. I have restored to UEFI defaults multiple times, still nil joy.

I even have removed the wifi adapter card to leave only the minimum hardware on the PC. But I can't removed the graphics card, since I have AMD Ryzen 2600 CPU, not APU therefore need the GPU for the display.

Could it be because my SSD & USB drive are set to GPT instead of MBR? Tried to convert the SSD to MBR, but the previous error code returned.

My plan is to use windows media creation tool downloaded on another USB drive, instead of using the USB drive with ISO file from MBP.

Colif

Win 11 Master
default settings on a relatively new board should boot from USB without any problems. That is essentially what he said. You shouldn't have to change anything. Resetting defaults would set it up for UEFI boot (or should)

They should be set to UEFI boot, as that is what WIn 10 installer is expecting to find.

Win 10 can't change the bios settings, if the MB is set up for Legacy boot (which on Asrock motherboards is called Compatibility Support Module) then win 10 will install as MBR. Otherwise it uses UEFI/GPT

My plan is to use windows media creation tool downloaded on another USB drive, instead of using the USB drive with ISO file from MBP.
sounds like a plan

Apr 23, 2020
default settings on a relatively new board should boot from USB without any problems. That is essentially what he said. You shouldn't have to change anything. Resetting defaults would set it up for UEFI boot (or should)

They should be set to UEFI boot, as that is what WIn 10 installer is expecting to find.

Win 10 can't change the bios settings, if the MB is set up for Legacy boot (which on Asrock motherboards is called Compatibility Support Module) then win 10 will install as MBR. Otherwise it uses UEFI/GPT

sounds like a plan
Update. I finally managed to install the OS.

What I noticed yesterday while at CMD looking into Diskpart, it was showing that the SSD format is NTFS.

So today, when I downloaded the MCT, I made sure that I formatted the USB drive to NTFS first, instead of FAT32. It had no partition.

The previous USB drive was setup with FAT32 with 2 partitions.

This time the installation was without a hitch.

Thanks guys for your guidance.

Thought I would add the issue was most likely the OPs attempt to create a Windows 10 install USB with a MAC; they seldom work. The fact the MCT created the install USB that worked, should speak for itself. Further, the MCT formats the USB with fat32, regardless of what formatting was done before.

Apr 23, 2020
Thought I would add the issue was most likely the OPs attempt to create a Windows 10 install USB with a MAC; they seldom work. The fact the MCT created the install USB that worked, should speak for itself. Further, the MCT formats the USB with fat32, regardless of what formatting was done before.

Thats the thing though. I have done that as well in one of the attempts to produce a bootable USB drive, using MCT. It didn't work. The second time I used the MCT, I formatted the USB drive before downloading the MCT onto the USB drive. Maybe its worth noting that both times, I used 2 different USB drives. Maybe, the first one was faulty and left the USB drive as it was. Anyhow, it created 2 partitions, due to FAT32 limitation.

But the second time I did it, formatted to NTFS first. It worked. Single partition.

You might want to see what format was used with the end product. When I use a USB greater than 32GB, it still formats with fat32 and there is still only one partition, it just leaves the balance unallocated (I use an unformatted USB, so a NTFS formatted USB may end up with a NTFS partition after MCT creates a partition with the boot/install data). And yes, sometimes certain USBs just don't work for some reason, so it's always a good idea to have several different brands and/or sizes just in case